Bass Amongst The Whitecaps

basshunter1987

Dino invited me to go for a wander, so we whipped out to the North Pine Dam shoreline this morning for a quick flick before brekky. The weather forecast said we might be in for some pretty brutal wind, but I was keen anyway!

The Bass that we found were pretty keen too! I reckon they all followed my lure for a while before chomping on it, some were only a few metres out from the bank when I hooked up.

post-12066-144599066229_thumb.jpg

I've always had a distaste for windy days, and today was pretty harsh at some points, haha. But catching fish helps to forget about it. You do learn how to cast a completely non-aerodynamic lure in a spinnerbait, straight into the wind!

post-12066-144599066238_thumb.jpg

post-12066-144599066246_thumb.jpg

Spinnerbaits won the day for me, and we both ended up with what we came for anyway, so a good little sesh it was. Always good to get to different spots, and change it up a bit (as Dino says). Not to mention finding a way to actually go fishing when the weather (wind) is a shocker! :)

Thanks for reading!

Luke

When you say not as many as a few years ago, has it not been stocked in a while?

The two flood years with mammoth water releases from the dam would have emptied quite a lot of fish, which is a partial reason for lesser numbers in areas. And was still only a "few years ago" that the dam level was on its way down and back up from 13%. Some spots had more fish than water! The higher concentrations of fish and fewer areas to target them made it seem like there were more fish then, and less now. But don't worry, North Pine Dam is still stocked every year, and there are mountains of fish in there :) Some days, you just have to find them, and other days, they come to find you ;) Our coverage of the dam in accessible fishing areas is also quite small compared to the actual size of the lake, too.

Archived