Freezing Cods

Surfingant

Jords, Den and myself did a trip to cod country a few weeks back now, after initial plans of access to a private property fell through we were left in a last minute situation of finding another suitable spot that we could fish landbased and camp near. Kwiambal national park was the spot we settled on and we decided that even though it was probably a hard hit area it would be a good base and give us an idea of the area. The weather gods decided to bestow us with freezing weather and the coldest weekend of the year, which we greatly appreciated, and the hailstorm on Saturday night saw us seeking shelter away from our quick camp setup while watching our fire die a slow death.....that was also greatly appreciated.

The cold snap made the fishing tough, we probably raised 6 or 7 for a hit which we were satisfied with, unfortunately for Den and I, Jords was the only one who manage to stay connected long enough for a photo. All in all we had a great weekend and covered a lot of hard terrain, we missed a lot of water due to simply not being able to access a decent casting spot, next time I vote Summer and float tubes!

Not many pics but will give you an idea of the terrain.

post-7024-144599116749_thumb.jpg

post-7024-144599116754_thumb.jpg

post-7024-144599116761_thumb.jpg

post-7024-144599116768_thumb.jpg

post-7024-144599116774_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Ant.

I'm assuming you are referring to when the 'Antarctic vortex' hit Ant? If so the mind simply boggles at how could that must have been (I was teaching PE on the oval with 5 upper layers on and was still bl00dy cold!!!), not to mention the hailstorm and lack of fire. Hope you took some whiskey or the like!!

Nice size cod, well done to Jords. Cheers for the report, always good to see reports of the type of fishing many of us are interested in but don't get to do very often.

I'm assuming you are referring to when the 'Antarctic vortex' hit Ant?
Ummmmm yes, yes I was...... Haha. It was pretty cold but honestly not as bad as we thought it was going to be, still had plenty of layers on and we got that fire going again quicksmart. Water was freezing and Jords second fish was super cold, no wonder they were slow.

I'm assuming you are referring to when the 'Antarctic vortex' hit Ant?
Ummmmm yes, yes I was...... Haha. It was pretty cold but honestly not as bad as we thought it was going to be, still had plenty of layers on and we got that fire going again quicksmart. Water was freezing and Jords second fish was super cold, no wonder they were slow.

Oh, so Jords caught two of them - you appear to have not made that clear in your main post .......... :whistle: :silly: (I thought the two photos were of the one fish ....).

Still one of my favourite fish to chase because of the country they live in and the hits. You got a few hits and that's the best part.

Next time you'll get'em.

That's it mate, these sort of trips are about the experience more than the numbers caught. I did manage one good hookup and got the fight out of the but he rolled one too many times on the surface and the hooks pulled, right at my feet! Aagghhh! Haha never mind, it just means I have unfinished business :)

Archived