Honeymoon Charter in Samoa

STKE

Howdy!

You can't just go to such a beautiful place without at least one fishing experience.

post-10385-144599126639_thumb.jpg

Once we arrived in Upolu I got in contact with as many charter operators as possible about 12. Most were either booked, bad whether, down for maintenance and in one case extremely expensive.

I did get in contact with a charter run by Savaii lagoon resort on the island of Savai'i, which is run by a couple Aussies Dave & Tania who are absolutely awesome people.

Unfortunately we were limited by both tide's (as you can't get out off the reef's/ lagoons until high tide) and whether 20+ knots and 2m swells.

We did manage to sneak out for a small 4 hour charter which they only troll. The charter operator Dave said that the direction we had to go hasn't been fished in a while and the strikes were only few and far between.

One GT come over the boat after about an hour. With a double hook up of the Larger GT and Dog tooth tuna coming in just about to arrive back at the resort. I was happy to scratch a dog tooth off my bucket list, and the GT gave Chole the run around for about 20 mins.

It's always the girls the get the bigger fish :)

post-10385-144599126646_thumb.jpg

post-10385-144599126654_thumb.jpg

post-10385-144599126659_thumb.jpg

post-10385-144599126664_thumb.jpg

post-10385-144599126673_thumb.jpg

post-10385-144599126681_thumb.jpg

I've been on a few charters that haven't turned a reel, so for a short trip you did well and a new species.

That was us. We did a fishing charter out of Tahiti on our honeymoon, didn't hook a thing. Luckily the locals that ran the charter had a backup plan, having a set of fish pens pegged on the outer reef. They wouldn't let us go home without fish, so took us to this 'village only' spot. We snorkelled the three pens, each about the size of school swimming pool, and easily speared a heap of bonito for sashimi and a few blue spot trevally. Just diving the pens was worth the charter alone, they were jam packed full of every fish you'd want.

Great trip STKE, I'm sure you and your wife were stoked with that, and more then enough fish for a feed.

The poor charter bloke was starting to get the sweets when we were getting any strikes after an hour of trolling and than again after the first fish, we went another hour and a half with no strikes again. Panic was starting to set in.

We did try chasing down the yellow fin but they were very skittish.

Archived