1770 Perfect Weather And Fish Heaven

tugger

Well another rap up of a awesome trip up to 1770 and beyond to the reef where we took 2 boats and 6 crew out to the reef for 3 days 2 nights in perfect conditions. 1st day started with the big run out from the ramp to the reef we covered 100km quickly with the weather being very calm once out there we set about trying to find some fish this took a little work to find them.

Aaron that was in the boat with Julian and I hooked a good fish and took some time getting on top of the beast this fish had some power to it and we hoped Aaron would get his 1st Red Emperor but a huge trevally surfaced. Aaron was still chuffed as this was his PB trevally so he posed for some photos before releasing his brute of a revally.

2016-05-01 09.10.42.jpg

When we found the depth that had the fish biting we started putting quality fish onboard like coral trout, red throat emperor, tuskies, moari cod and red emperor then after the days fishing about 3pm we moved in close to the reef for a snorkel. About 2m of water we anchored in and jumped over the side and it wasn't long before we found some crayfish to add to our dinner, after getting out I had a fresh water rinse and prepped the crays then heated a fry pan with a large slice of butter I mixed some garlic in and dropped the cray tails in to the pan.

The sun setting over the reef was spectacular and a few drinks was enjoyed watching it set then tomorrow's plan was hatched over dinner witch was red emperor we had caught that day just couldn't get fresher fish. The sound of the waves on the reef drifts you off to sleep and after a good night sleep we were up in time to watch the sun rising over the reef while breaky was cooking.

P1030421.JPG

2nd day we headed for the area that worked for us yesterday and again we got some great fish onboard but we still wanted to hit up some quality Red's so we went deeper and after a few drifts I was hit by a powerfull fish. This brute had all the hall marks of a big Red Emperor with heavy bouncing of it's head and a doggedness to not give in all the way to the boat but soon it could be seen coming up and a big Red it was. This is now my PB Red Emperor going 12kg I was over the moon and cracked a beer and sat back to get over what was a hard fought capture then posed for some photo's

2016-05-02 09.48.43.jpg

We ended up back in the shallow country after out wide shut down but this was a good move as it was heating up in shallow and Julian soon got hit by a big Red and after a minute or to it threw the hook. There was a few Red's in shallow as I hooked another small 1 and boated it this was some good new country we discovered on this trip that produced the majority of the fish this time.

Aaron hooked another beast and we called it for a big Red and the fish gave him a work out but after a couple of minutes a big chinamen fish surfaced but again Aaron had never caught 1 and was impressed on it's power

P1030424.JPG

Again around 3 pm we called it a day and had a snorkel in the shallows where we found a coral bombie chocked full of crays where we pulled 5 crayfish out but couldn't get the remaining 7 crays as the holes were just to deep and they could stay out of reach of our spears. The fry pan got another load of crays cooking while drinks were served, rafting the 2 boats up each night was great as we could share dinner duties and go over each of our days highlights together. The other crew were going just as good as us if not just a tad better with 1 big Red onboard and plenty of coral trout to their booty along with a couple of nice cobia and 1 big gold spot cod.

The 3rd and final day rolled around and we had a couple of hours fishing before we set off home around 9am the weather was getting better each day and it was glassy conditions to make our return journey home a quick run. It would be 6pm that night we pulled up in my driveway at home then the next day I would clean the fish after the final photos, here is some of our catch

2016-05-04 09.24.52.jpg

2016-05-04 09.45.05.jpg

12 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Cracking report and haul of fish there Mark - those red throat are very consistent in size aren't they.  Congrats on the red PB mate - sensational fish.

Thanks Kelvin the red throat were very consistent as well as the tuskies all very similar sizes and they all fight above their weight, the Red bug has bitten me again and we are already planning the next trip up there

Nice haul of fish there Mark.

It sure was a cracker 3 days with perfect weather and plenty of fish willing to play the game.

I was surprised at the amount of reds stacked up on the grounds this trip, most places we looked at had heaps of fish on them and they were happy to play with us for a change.

We lost a lot this trip but it was fun trying.

Our last day we caught reds and catfish (basa grouper:P) together out in 100m.

9 hours ago, aussie123 said:

Nice haul of fish there Mark.

It sure was a cracker 3 days with perfect weather and plenty of fish willing to play the game.

I was surprised at the amount of reds stacked up on the grounds this trip, most places we looked at had heaps of fish on them and they were happy to play with us for a change.

We lost a lot this trip but it was fun trying.

Our last day we caught reds and catfish (basa grouper:P) together out in 100m.

That was the calmest weather I have seen up there for the 3 straight days it was sensational with the fish on as well

5 minutes ago, christophagus said:

what a feed! how big is your freezer tugger? haha

im curious...what was the fuel consumption like on a trip this big..?

The catch was split 3 ways as do all my fishing trips and yes we eat a lot of fish plus my mum and dad get plenty of fish from me as well as do my wife's side of the family so it goes pretty quick. The fuel used was 200 litres for the 3 days split 3 ways it is affordable we factor fuel for the car and boat, bait, ice, dry ice, food and it comes to about $250 each

1 hour ago, christophagus said:

what a feed! how big is your freezer tugger? haha

im curious...what was the fuel consumption like on a trip this big..?

We ended up doing 300kms at 1.5ltrs to the K. All up was 200ltrs. I use a fuel-flow sender and an LMF200 to watch my usage.

Thats so awesome. What incredible fishing!!

Do the reefs up there shelter you a bit from bad weather? Wouldn't mind fishing up there someday but in my boat it probably isnt a good idea at all... Yeah it would obviously be fine in the conditions you had but not if it turned bad. Would have no prob doing the distance but not being an offshore boat is the issue. Just half an idea, most of me is saying dont even consider it in a 4.2m, just want another opinion. 

1 hour ago, tugger said:

The catch was split 3 ways as do all my fishing trips and yes we eat a lot of fish plus my mum and dad get plenty of fish from me as well as do my wife's side of the family so it goes pretty quick. The fuel used was 200 litres for the 3 days split 3 ways it is affordable we factor fuel for the car and boat, bait, ice, dry ice, food and it comes to about $250 each

that's not much more than what youd pay for a charter packed full of other blokes for only one days fishing. So pretty wicked value for money really. considering the $ worth of fish you bring home. Take that red emperor for example. According to my quick google searching, you can recover about 38% of the weight of the fish in fillets. Times that by the price per kg ($48) and you've got about $220 worth of fillets from one fish...

1 hour ago, samsteele115 said:

Thats so awesome. What incredible fishing!!

Do the reefs up there shelter you a bit from bad weather? Wouldn't mind fishing up there someday but in my boat it probably isnt a good idea at all... Yeah it would obviously be fine in the conditions you had but not if it turned bad. Would have no prob doing the distance but not being an offshore boat is the issue. Just half an idea, most of me is saying dont even consider it in a 4.2m, just want another opinion. 

In my opinion I wouldn't go as far as we did in a 4.2m boat if it whips up you are a long way from shelter and help we try to go up in a couple of boats together for safety and they are all big boats. We were 100km to the 1st fishing spot that's 3 hours driving on average in our size boats you can get exceptional weather which helps reduce that time travelled. The reefs up there give you shelter once you get out to them again it is a long way to just reach the 1st reef system's we only go on these trips once you see a great spell of good weather coming. We decide to do these trips only a couple of days out after the weather report indicates a good spell of weather so you have to do it at short notice.

53 minutes ago, christophagus said:

that's not much more than what youd pay for a charter packed full of other blokes for only one days fishing. So pretty wicked value for money really. considering the $ worth of fish you bring home. Take that red emperor for example. According to my quick google searching, you can recover about 38% of the weight of the fish in fillets. Times that by the price per kg ($48) and you've got about $220 worth of fillets from one fish...

These are fish you don't see down in Brisbane either and are the best eating fish in the sea the experience is worth it alone, I love snorkeling among the reef bombies and of coarse catching and eating crayfish that inhabit this area pictures and words just don't describe it properly it is truly beautiful out there

2 hours ago, tugger said:

These are fish you don't see down in Brisbane either and are the best eating fish in the sea the experience is worth it alone, I love snorkeling among the reef bombies and of coarse catching and eating crayfish that inhabit this area pictures and words just don't describe it properly it is truly beautiful out there

You're right Tugger. Words can describe what an awesome time we have up there each and every time. I'm very lucky to always have good company on my boat, and the fishing is probably 1/3rd of the enjoyment. It's all about the raft up at night time with your mates, exploring the outer reef edges and getting your toes wet. Not to mention fishing by sight for trout in 1.5 mtrs of water.

Sam, think of it like 100kms of Moreton Bay conditions. The distance is always nerve rattling the first time, specially once you loose sight of land, but you soon get use to it. The journey out is pretty chilled. Set the auto pilot, sit back and yarn to your mates. Before you know it you're there and fishing for big Reds/Trout!

You would definitely be crazy to attempt that in your boat Sam until you have a lot of offshore experience in all types of weather conditions and sea states.

Even at times with a cracker forecast it can suddenly turn nasty and carrying the extra weight that is needed for these extended trips will change you boat handling dramatically.

The close reefs are 60km out but where we fish are about 100km from the ramp and about 100km offshore to the nearest land point.

We started fishing the other day at about 107km from the headland and fished to about 150km away before we turned around and started fishing our way home.

Awesome trip in amazing weather, just a shame we were too far away to raft up with the other boys at night and watch Mark do some more pole dancing.:P:frantics::fishing: and Julian have a :drooling:

23 minutes ago, samsteele115 said:

So you're saying you would do it in my boat? :P. It's something I would consider if I had a big boat in sight of me at all times if it turns **** but still don't think it's a great idea.

Of course not. :) Just giving confidence about the distances involved! 

1 hour ago, demarc said:

You're right Tugger. Words can describe what an awesome time we have up there each and every time. I'm very lucky to always have good company on my boat, and the fishing is probably 1/3rd of the enjoyment. It's all about the raft up at night time with your mates, exploring the outer reef edges and getting your toes wet. Not to mention fishing by sight for trout in 1.5 mtrs of water.

Sam, think of it like 100kms of Moreton Bay conditions. The distance is always nerve rattling the first time, specially once you loose sight of land, but you soon get use to it. The journey out is pretty chilled. Set the auto pilot, sit back and yarn to your mates. Before you know it you're there and fishing for big Reds/Trout!

Yes the raft up's that's the bonus of a couple of boats together prepping and cooking meals together, sharing the days fishing stories and a few cold drinks together. The auto pilot in your boat Julian is worth every dollar with the distances travelled, you have a very well set up boat with seat brackets that fit our big eskies under and long range fuel tanks just perfect for out there.

34 minutes ago, aussie123 said:

You would definitely be crazy to attempt that in your boat Sam until you have a lot of offshore experience in all types of weather conditions and sea states.

Even at times with a cracker forecast it can suddenly turn nasty and carrying the extra weight that is needed for these extended trips will change you boat handling dramatically.

The close reefs are 60km out but where we fish are about 100km from the ramp and about 100km offshore to the nearest land point.

We started fishing the other day at about 107km from the headland and fished to about 150km away before we turned around and started fishing our way home.

Awesome trip in amazing weather, just a shame we were too far away to raft up with the other boys at night and watch Mark do some more pole dancing.:P:frantics::fishing: and Julian have a :drooling:

Yes we do it a bit more relaxed up there Lance we were knocking off about 3pm each arvo to anchor and go snorkeling for those tasty crays, we found some awesome shallow sandy bottom with plenty of coral bombies. The water was crystal clear and the boys with us this time had never been snorkeling the reef before they soon got the hang of finding the crays after I showed them what to look for.

Yea I love the raft ups to, it's the best part of a trip up there when the shenanigans start.:lol:

Unfortunately that 3pm knockoff is just when the hot arvo bite starts for us so we are flat out ripping fish then.We don't normally get the anchor down till dark or just after if the seas are good and we are roaming around looking for some reds.

We are still planning on getting a house for 2 weeks in July or August to leave the boats up there and fish it hard when ever the weather is good.It's a quick trip back and forth without the boats.

Just an open house for anyone who wants to put a bit in and use it when ever they want so it should be good.

25 minutes ago, Angus said:

Yeah baby!

This has me geed up for August!

Nice haul guys and what a RED!

You will have a ball up there Angus let us know what dates you are going because Julian and I were talking it could be August when we go up there next don't forget to pack the snorkel gear as well as the fishing rods

2 minutes ago, Do$tylz said:

Looks like a BLOODY awesome trip boys. I'm looking forwards to the trip with Angus in August. I'll definitely bring the snorkel gear and a small hand gaff to pull those crays out!

Lance - were you out there with Luke again?

No Henry, I was up there with another mate.

21 hours ago, tugger said:

You will have a ball up there Angus let us know what dates you are going because Julian and I were talking it could be August when we go up there next don't forget to pack the snorkel gear as well as the fishing rods

6th till the 10th August is locked in :)

22 hours ago, Do$tylz said:

Looks like a BLOODY awesome trip boys. I'm looking forwards to the trip with Angus in August. I'll definitely bring the snorkel gear and a small hand gaff to pull those crays out!

Lance - were you out there with Luke again?

Had a little reef shark swimming with us for about an hour my mates had never swum with sharks before it was exciting having it around I followed him for a while then got back to cray hunting, a hand spear is the go for the crays

Some nice fish there Lance, well done!  Assuming that's a pearlie?  Massive if so!! What's the red fish in between the two red emperors?  And last question - what sort of boat, looks sort of like a bigger version of dad's boat (well, the canopy anyway ...). 

15 hours ago, aussie123 said:

We may have a house up there around then for 2 weeks Angus with a few offshore boats so if things line up, we may be able to get you offshore for a day or 2.

Here is a couple of pics from our trip last week.

2016-05-02 07.31.33.jpg2016-05-01 19.23.00.jpg2016-05-02 07.35.07.jpg2016-05-02 08.01.28.jpg2016-05-03 12.30.41.jpg2016-05-02 07.46.24.jpg2016-05-02 17.52.21.jpg2016-05-02 19.07.57.jpg

We will be more than offshore capable with Boydy's new rig so could be a cool convoy :) 

17 hours ago, straddiebrad said:

cracker of a trip once again mark,cant wait until i get a chance to get up there next time

the  red look like it could pull a bit

You will love it up there Brad get your shoulder right because those Red's will try and pull you over the side hopefully we get a chance in spring which you should be on the mend by then

Archived