AFO Winter Camp

rayke1938

It has been a long running tradition to have an AFO winter camp for 9 years. Previously has always been held in conjunction with Steve Wilkes from Sports Tuition firstly at Hinz dam and lately at Camp Lakefire at baroon dam,

Couple of questions?

Is there still an interest in a winter camp?

Continue with Camp lakefire?Up graded amenities, new road to waters edge and new resident managers fees a bit exy around $30 per person

Look for new venue?

Borumba? downside is ski boats and distance and unable to leave boats in water overnight but bass plus toga $12 per person unpowered

leslie distance yellas and cod cheap camping only $10

Lake Mcdonald leccy only but can leave petrol motors on. $10 camping in Scouts camp next door to ramp. Bass,Yellas. Marys( No take) could probably arrange a tour of the MRC hatchery( Very interesting)

Any interest

Any more suggestions?

Cheers

Ray

100% interest.

In my opinion last years winter camp was the best yet so no reason to cut it!

Steve has re set up at Moogerah if that is of interest.

I am 100% up for trying something totally different as well. At the end of the day 3/4 of winter camp in the conpany and banter so could do it in someone's backyard :P

funny enough ray, i was talking to gus the other day about trying moogerah out for the next winter camp with the same format as last years (look after yourself food and drink wise). You can leave the boats in at moogerah as well i think and camp next the shoreline.

If this is the 10th year of it, we need to make it a biggie.

What weekends are available?, late july and august have been the usual times for it.

22 hours ago, rayke1938 said:

Are we looking at the commercial park at moogerah or has steve got access to one of the church camps there?If so what facilities  I hear rumor  Steve has current issues with the site owner of Camp Lakefire and his tenancy is uncertain,

Cheers

Ray

Steve has definitely moved to Moogerah.

I will suss him out as to whether the site is suitable but I cannot see why not...

Angus

Hi Ray

Spoke to Rob this evening and he mentioned winter camp was being discussed. I'm now based at Camp Qld at Moogerah. It's a good set up. I have just held my first school camp and first fishing weekend there.  I terminated my lease of Camp Lake Fire on 30 April. I've put some picts on the Sports Tuition Facebook page of the weekend's fishing at Moogerah. Caught some good fish. I was actually a bit surprised with the quality. I'm not there this weekend, but I am running fishing groups for the next three weekends after that...so if you want to come out and have a look, just let me know. I could always use a hand trying to find some fish!

Steve

9 hours ago, Fishin4bass said:

Hi Ray

Spoke to Rob this evening and he mentioned winter camp was being discussed. I'm now based at Camp Qld at Moogerah. It's a good set up. I have just held my first school camp and first fishing weekend there.  I terminated my lease of Camp Lake Fire on 30 April. I've put some picts on the Sports Tuition Facebook page of the weekend's fishing at Moogerah. Caught some good fish. I was actually a bit surprised with the quality. I'm not there this weekend, but I am running fishing groups for the next three weekends after that...so if you want to come out and have a look, just let me know. I could always use a hand trying to find some fish!

Steve

Thanks for the input Steve! 

I am looking forward to the kids fishing camp we have out there in July. And wherever Winter Camp takes us. My mates from work had such a good time last year they have been pestering me this years dates as well :)

Angus 

17 minutes ago, Angus said:

Thanks for the input Steve! 

I am looking forward to the kids fishing camp we have out there in July. And wherever Winter Camp takes us. My mates from work had such a good time last year they have been pestering me this years dates as well :)

Angus 

No worries Angus. Looking forward to showing you the new set up. 

55 minutes ago, rayke1938 said:

Is there a ramp suitable for 2wd cars there if so be good to keep up the tradition and stay with Steve Wilkes.

Be good if we could all camp at waters edge similar to last winter camp.

Just need to pick a date.

Cheers

Ray

I am 100% sure it is based on the group I am taking out there in July.

Angus

1 hour ago, Angus said:

How does this effect you? Are there concrete ramps that side?

I don't know where the ramp is...have to have a look. I've just been carrying my boats to the water. It's too shallow to put a trailer in where I've been setting off anyway.

We are heading to Moogerah this weekend staying at the Carvan Park.

Never been and looking forward to getting onto some good bass and Redclaw. Best thing that sold me on this dam, is been able to leave the boat in the water, no engine limit and no speed 6 knot speed limit. 

• 2 weeks later...

OK so left this for a while... What are the thoughts. I think we need to do it no matter what. 

I am more than happy to stay loyal to Steve as well as he has been good to us over the years.

My only concern to be frank is launching options. If we have to drive to the other side of the dam will that put people off?

Failing that... Would anyone consider a salt water winter camp? Boreen Point?

Bass are closed but the lower reaches the trevs and tailor go off?

Otherswise... Pose some ideas... At the end of the day if we all end up talking fishing somewhere making some good food who really cares where it is :P

ANGUS

ARE we allowed to park the boats at waters edge overnight? The commercial van park allows it so no reason why not.

Just be a bit of a pain having to shuttle the trailer back and forth to launch and retrieve.

Any chance for an arrangement with the water ski club?They are next door and have their own ramp.Be worth 10 bucks to launch there to save driving all around the dam.

Otherwise how far do we wish to travel?

Camp Pointro is on Maroon tents only no vans, I have never stayed there but think a few other members have stayed there maybe they can give some feedback.

Leslie has a good council camp ground with a great amenities block only $12 a night and a chance for a green fish.

Mcdonald good camping in Scouts camp but it is electric only but you can leave your petrol motor on. Would have to negotiate suitable weekend that scouts not using grounds.

Chance for a mary river cod there as well as bass,toga and yella.

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, aussie123 said:

Bump for @rayke1938

Nice one Lance. 
I am still flexible but will be one of the ones trying to fit in with a date. 

I have been speaking at a few training events and conferences lately and there are a few coming up with dates up in the air. Will do my very best though.

Angus

I have just emailed Steve to see if bank launching would be easier now as the dam has risen with the recent rain.

My personal thoughts would be somewhere in August .

1st choice Camp Qld  Moogerah

2nd Pointro Maroon ( Most people getting to know spots there

3rd Scout camp Mcdonald dependent on availability another downside is its leccy only but you can leave petrol motors on.

Forget Leslie as it is well below 20%

Any other suggestions ?

Cheers

Ray

• 4 weeks later...

Ok it is time to stop stuffing around.

I propose the commercial van park at Moogerah

http://moogerah.com/

unpowered site $26 for 2 people .

Power boats allowed and popular for  water sking in clockwise direction.

Designated 6 knot speed limit area so good for yaks and also good fishing there.

Can camp near waters edge but like all SEQ water dams you cannot leave boats moored overnight and must be parked above a certain level. ( Seq water have always had this policy but are now enforcing it)

2 boat ramps available.

I suggest weekend of 20 to 21 st August or 27 to 28 August.

Who is interested and which weekend is preferable"

Cheers

Ray

Archived