Maroon Dam

Beefa

Sorry for the lateness of the thread but have been away with work and havent had the opportunity to do the post. Weekend before last headed out with Suds to Maroon Dam on the Saturday arvo with the aim of catching our fist bass on lure. Got out there about 2.30pm set up camp for the night a couple of cold brews whilst we set the rods up then hit the water about 4.30pm. Worked the deep water with spinner baits, slider grubs and lipless crankbaits for abit over an hour or so for not even a touch. So as the sun started to sink we thought we would move closer into the bank and start using some poppers and try our luck. It didn't take long before I got my first hit the explosion on the surface was awesome but no hook up samething a couple of cast later I couldnt figure it out. We moved alond the bank I spotted some lilly pads and I cast the popper just over the back of the pads with the 2nd twitch BANG!!!! I was on to my 1st bass as well as my 1st fish on a popper it went 35cm, a couple of minutes later and a few meters down WHACK another one this one was bit smaller 28cm by this time it was getting dark(about 6.45pm) so we headed back to camp. That was the only action for the session Suds (aka Greig) didn't raise a strike unfortunately but he blamed it on me as I was using one of his lures he opted to try out a newbie. Up early the next morning blew 40knots right thru the night and the next day headed out for a couple of hours got a few surface strikes but no hook ups, headed home early very happy with ourselves for achieving quite a few 1sts.

Thanks for reading

Heath [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Maroon_Dam_033.jpg

post-1898-144598448782_thumb.jpg

G,Day All,

The last pic with car and boat is where we camped,Its called Camp Pointro $6.00 bucks a night,has its own ramp,toilet block,cook-out etc.There is no camping allowed on the land around the dam exept here. It has a great outlook and dam @ 68% we really liked it a lot not many other anglers and most were fly fisho"s in the main body of water leaving the sunken forrest uncrowded, I reckon you would have a good chance from the banks up in there as well.

Cheers.:laugh: :laugh:

Suds wrote:

G,Day All,

The last pic with car and boat is where we camped,Its called Camp Pointro $6.00 bucks a night,has its own ramp,toilet block,cook-out etc.There is no camping allowed on the land around the dam exept here. It has a great outlook and dam @ 68% we really liked it a lot not many other anglers and most were fly fisho"s in the main body of water leaving the sunken forrest uncrowded, I reckon you would have a good chance from the banks up in there as well.

Cheers.:laugh: :laugh:

Suds wrote this, but something happened and his post went into a different thread (same name though):S

Great to see Maroon so full of water:cheer:

Thanks for the report:)

Popper fishing is really addictive especially when you get hook ups on your fist crack at it can't wait to get out and amongst it again soon. For some reason all the bass were holding hard up against the bank if you didn't get the popper in close to the bank we didn't get a sniff.

I'll get Beefa to post a photo of the camp and the view we had from where we set up later.

Cheers Suds

Archived