Bribie Shark Session 20/09/2016

The Mad Hughesy

With our plans squashed last week due to bad weather we made the last minute call to try again last night. With our limited time and the severe lack of fresh fish available in the SEQ region we picked up some frozen whole mullet and headed to the beach after work. Rigs we had was a TLD 50 with 600m of 24kg mono, a 3m 80lb mono leader and 3m 600lb coated cable trace, and a Penn Squall 60 running 50lb braid, 150lb leader and 400lbs cable trace. By the time we setup and rigged the baits it was pitch black dark…so out I paddled with the baits on board the kayak trying to not capsize in the waves. Paddled about 100-150m out into apprx 5m of water only to only realize that the kayak bung was missing and I was taking on water rather quickly. So I threw both baits away and headed for the beach as fast as possible. The kayak was sinking more and more by the second, I could not be happier when I made it back in. I rolled the kayak over and about 30+ litres poured out.

With the baits in the water 30mins before the bottom of the tide we started to smash some bbq shapes and get comfy for the night. 2 hours in and the penn started to ratched started to slowly pull of line consistently, we let it run for 30 seconds while I grabbed the gimbal and harness then my brother lifted the lever and set the hook. Once she was hooked she started to run hard. Was only about a 15 minute fight before this nice 1.73m female bull shark was in the shallows with us. We tagged it, cut the hook from its mouth, snapped some pics and had it back swimming away within 5 minutes. We were both stoked to have started the season with our first ever tagged shark.

My brother received a call which ended the night rather quickly not long after so ive strated to reel my bait in. Thinking the brick was still attached as it was a bit of an effort to wind in then all of a sudden up pops this 1.2m carpet shark much to my surprise!! So we both ended the night with a shark each, keen to start planning our next trip ASAP.

Lesson of the night was that sharking really is a team sport, to do it solo really would be difficult and somewhat dangerous…especially at night in the surf.

IMG_1332.JPGIMG_1345.JPG

@christophagus I recommend that you make your traces a bit longer. I know you are chasing something a bit bigger than 5' and if you hook up to something decent one day you could have your leader worn through. A starting point would be 1.5x the length of the biggest shark you hope to catch. Certain sharks can roll on you trace, which can make your main line come in contact with their very rough tails. The bigger they are the more rough their skin is. 

Archived