A Tough Call...

benno573

So after many years waiting for this moment, it has finally happened.

I've been very lucky over the last about 12 years in as much as I've had pretty much free access to what has technically always been my old mans boat, a 5.3m half cabin runabout. While I have always contributed finance and labour to the upkeep and maintenance of the boat, the bills like rego and insurance have always been looked after by the old boy.

the time has come when he has asked if I would like to buy the boat from him or if it should go on the market... :( My current financial situation dictates that this would be a bit of a stretch, not to mention if something were to go wrong on the boat I may not be in a position to rectify it promptly.

so... My dilemma.. Do I invest several $ into this boat and take the extra expenses on or do I allow the boat to find a new home and rely on bumming trips off others as I can and land based trips to sate the fishing itch?

the other debate is more a moral one for me - the boat has been offered to me at "mates rates" and I would be duping the old man out of some potential $ should he put the boat on the open market... Not something I feel overly comfortable with.

all the same... I feel many "test drives" in coming weeks are required... ;)

Boats will always need maintenance but IF something major goes wrong it can wait to be fixed when you have the money. If nothing goes wrong you will be enjoying time on the water. 

Or you change your style of fishing and go kayaking. A new adventure to be explored. 

Wait to see your decision. 

This is devastating news !

Not so much that you may not have the boat or that we won't be spending time in the Rebel-T BSing all day (and fishing), but more so the fact RG didn't include me in the decision. :P

Have you considered vendor financing or part financing ?

Some regular deckies might be prepared to kick in for some expenses too.

Agreed @ellicat maybe charging for a day out, on AirTasker this week there was a guy offering $100 for someone to fish with him on the pine in HIS boat. A Charter of sorts, some of your smoked meat, knowledge of the seas and bossy directives... Who could resist?

Although in my case :11_blush: I expect to be paid for my delightful company, incredible expertise and entertaining anecdotes not to mention my beautiful singing so take that into account.

1 hour ago, ellicat said:

This is devastating news !

Not so much that you may not have the boat or that we won't be spending time in the Rebel-T BSing all day (and fishing), but more so the fact RG didn't include me in the decision. :P

Have you considered vendor financing or part financing ?

Some regular deckies might be prepared to kick in for some expenses too.

I've always been of the opinion that deckies shouldn't be asked to contribute to the upkeep of the vessel. Happy for contributions towards fuel, bait etc but not upkeep and alike. Financing is always an option... 

@Danielle that is not really a good option IMO. While it wouldn't be hard to find people to go with if the price was right, it would lead to all sorts of issues with insurances, maritime safety regs about charters, vessel survey etc. Not to mention it changes from being a relaxing day out talking BS with mates to being under pressure to deliver a catch for someone who paid to catch fish.

@Angus - yeah, I do take that point as well and if the old boy wasn't trying to stack away money for retirement it would be a different issue. Just stuff in my head I guess -something you have to look forward to with Alastair in the future! :)

@Old Scaley - always happy to come along and try and fix the mojo mess @ellicat has left your boat in after previous trips. Thanks for the generous offer!

@Luvit - I've been down the kayak path previously, wouldn't mind going back...

of course I'm building a spreadsheet of annual regular costs to fully assess the full financial ramifications... ;)

Agree with what @Angus said Benno although of course we don't know all of the niggling issues. I'm the same at the moment, the tinny I have is Dad's (my brother in Rocky used it before me) and he pays the rego (it's not insured). There's also the other expensive beast sitting there not being used due to time/money but I'm hoping this will change in a few years once my boys are older, both in the bay and offshore.

Ditto what @Old Scaley said, if you get rid of it I'd be happy to take you for a fish sometime. Good luck with the decision, and if you decide to go down the yak path I might have to get off my butt and use mine and join you .... :whistle:

I agree with Angus. Take your Dad's offer at face value. There would be advantages for him if you took the boat, and as the father of four boys, I would be very pleased if I could help one or all of my boys is some way like this. And in ways I have I suppose. So I think you're going down the right path in thinking about the sale in its entirety, with the pluses and minuses laid out to be considered. What I think anyway.

Agree with all in that I'm sure your Dad would rather you have it as he knows for certain you will use it and continue to be meticulous and take excellent care of it. It's an investment in you and investment for you. Plus it also means he can still enjoy it and use it rather than losing it all together, which is part of enjoying retirement. As for the ongoing costs and upkeep it's the same as a car, things will happen and it's just part of the parcel and you will manage - like Wayne said if there is an unexpected cost then you just ride it out until it can be afforded.

We work to live not live to work. You get so much joy out of using the boat so my meek opinion is that IF it's possible to purchase the boat then do so my friend. As a parent you only want the best things for your babies no matter how old you are and although a few extra dollars would be beneficial for him it's nothing in the long run and believe me there is so much more value in helping them out with achieving something and I'm sure he wouldn't want you to feel so torn about it Benno.

Archived