Ray Won't Be Cold This Winter.......

Binder

Daughter wanted to camp up the back paddock with her mates a couple of weeks ago.

So I towed the campervan up there, set it all up, then looked up......bugger - tree right above the prime spot had died in the last few months, and some of the dead branches didn't look to stable. One of the red cedar things, which I loath only slightly less than black wattle......

So rather than be responsible for an accident involving someone elses' teenager, I packed the campervan up and moved it to the other end of the paddock.

Today I got around to dropping and bucking it for fire wood. Given the wood only gets used for the odd teenagers party up the backyard, I am fairly sure Ray is digging his trailer out of the shed right now........

Anyway I decided to do it a little different. Current practice appears to make the first cut an undercut (on you tube anyway!), rather than the traditional way I had learnt. (First cut flat bottom and wedge comes down to the flat cut,  not up).

Anyway seemed to work just fine, managed to get the hinge wood right, one wedge to start her moving and dropped it right in the pocket where I wanted it to go, although I was sorely tempted to drop it in the other direction and claim an "oops" moment to have an excuse to get rid of the last bomb from the backyard :)

A Few photos.

IMG_20161227_134152067.jpg

IMG_20161227_134008118.jpg

IMG_20161227_134018903.jpg

IMG_20161227_134022426.jpg

IMG_20161227_134032292.jpg

IMG_20161227_134116960.jpg

Cheers Brian, definitely old and fat, I had to have two rest breaks during the work!

Only redemption - I was teaching oldest son how to use the small saw, letting him cut up the small branches while I worked on the main trunk with the big saw, he was buggered before I was  :)

Archived