First Boat Help

Jameseast

Hey guys,

I am looking at getting my first boat in the next few months and I have a budget of about 10k all ready to go. i was looking at a few of those old half cabin styles, i think one of the examples was a 1999 swift craft half cabin. I was also interested in the aluminium run abouts. so pretty much what i am trying to ask is what would be a good first boat under 10k? i mainly want it for leisurely fishing and to be able to start exploring places i can't get to in my 4wd. cheers guys   

On ‎4‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 0:09 PM, Jameseast said:

i mainly want it for leisurely fishing and to be able to start exploring places i can't get to in my 4wd. cheers guys   

james, firstly loosen the grip or you`ll cut off the circulation...

with the above info you have given I would suggest a canoe or kayak

may be with more details as to the kind of waterways,estuary/inshore etc, and fishing  you want to experience some suggestions could be offered

If youre looking at a runabout something around 4.2m is good you can use it to get up creeks and in good weather get out a good distance. 30 or 40 hp will push it along nicely and be relatively cheap in maintenance. I bought a runabout I really like it but if I had my time again I would have gone with a side console for sleeping reasons and more casting room for lures if youre looking for pelagics

1 hour ago, Gad said:

james, firstly loosen the grip or you`ll cut off the circulation...

with the above info you have given I would suggest a canoe or kayak

may be with more details as to the kind of waterways,estuary/inshore etc, and fishing  you want to experience some suggestions could be offered

such a welcoming site, I see james got the same welcome I did

10 hours ago, richard fisho said:

@richard fisho To be fair you had a sook at one political post (on a site that had a politics and environment category). No one forces you to read what doesn't interest you. No one had a dig before that. Take it like a man. 

James I am rubbish with boats but its a busy world. Give people a chance to jump on and read posts. Not everyone is trolling forums everyday. You would prefer one or two replies from people who have a valid opinion than weigh ins and opinions in numbers.

Too be fair there was only an hour before he started getting mad. We all have jobs and can't be on here 24hrs a day.. if we didn't have work I dare say we'd be fishing more. I've only been on this site a year in that time I've met great people been taken fishing taught things and never had anyone talk to me like crap even when I made a **** up and didn't know the correct information in regards to boating. Take it easy start fresh the site is a wealth of information and you may just make a mate . Even if you want to read fishing reports you can pick things up. 

1 hour ago, richard fisho said:

Why are you still here if you are so unhappy mate? For the record there are thousands of friendly posts put up on this site each year - it normally takes someone to stir the pot to receive negative replies .......

@Jameseast -  my advice would be to go to a boatyard first, look at plenty of boats and get a feel for what you like, talk to the staff there and get some feedback or opinions from them and then once you've narrowed things down ask for opinions on here given tighter paramaters (ideally with links to boats you've found that you're considering). You'll find plenty of helpful people on here - like others have said the key is providing enough detail to let us/motivate us to. 

On 3/8/2017 at 8:55 PM, Cmaltby said:

If youre looking at a runabout something around 4.2m is good you can use it to get up creeks and in good weather get out a good distance. 30 or 40 hp will push it along nicely and be relatively cheap in maintenance. I bought a runabout I really like it but if I had my time again I would have gone with a side console for sleeping reasons and more casting room for lures if youre looking for pelagics

cheers for the reply mate, yea i have been on the look out for a side console i really like the look of them. i know i can always google but any one have any good recommendations on some good boat yards in melb or even vic i don't mind going on a road trip. I was just being a smart A*s, wasn't unhappy or anything like that haha i think i am a lot funnier than i actually am :lol: and yea i probably should of had a better introduction!!

6 hours ago, Jameseast said:

..... I was just being a smart A*s, wasn't unhappy or anything like that haha i think i am a lot funnier than i actually am :lol: and yea i probably should of had a better introduction!!

All`s good James, I assumed with the non existent girl friend part you were hinting nudge nudge, wink wink and I offered some  medical advice :lol:

On 3/10/2017 at 7:39 PM, Gad said:

All`s good James, I assumed with the non existent girl friend part you were hinting nudge nudge, wink wink and I offered some  medical advice :lol:

hahahah thanks mate :lol:

I am pretty set on one of those old half cabins, they seem like they would last me a while

Slowly figure out your limits of how far you can go stick with what's comfortable but I think that's more than enough to get anywhere in the bay and pick your weather and days and you can go further. Bit learn your boat first get comfy because accidents happen when you're unsettled 

2 hours ago, Jameseast said:

so if i were to grab say an old14ft half cabin, what are the limits to where i take it? and any advice or pros and cons on one of these say over a tinny

cheers guys 

You have to think about what type of fishing you will be mainly doing.  If you are fishing the bay or offshore regularly a fibreglass runabout would be good.  A tinny is great poking around creeks throwing lures and can run aground on sand bars and not do any damage to the hull.  In saying that tinnies can go great out in the bay as well, but if you are doing that regularly you need to start looking at the hull thickness.  If you have kids maybe the half cabin would be good for them if you want shelter.  An old fibreglass boat may require a lot more maintenance of the hull.  Make sure to get someone to check it out before you buy.  But think about the fishing you will be doing and buy a boat which suits your needs.

• 2 weeks later...

Gday Jameseast

I'm new to this forum stuff, however I'm always willing to pass on my experiences to others here is a few pointers that I have learned in the years I have owned boats.

1. You will never get a boat that does everything..... work out what your primary purpose of you boat is going to be. If its just to fish out of you will find that the usable space will start where you cabin ends
  2. Why do you want a cabin? a lot of people answer this question with "so I can sleep in it". that is an expensive bed. I owned a 6.8m boat with a cabin and found it was just another place to store stuff. I must admit I did do a couple of trips to outer reefs over night however this boat is  well out of your budget of 10k 
  3. this leads me to a boat with a windscreen. I'm in two minds about windscreens as a serious fisherman my personal prefrence is they get in the way, having said that there are times when I'm drowning in salt spray I wish i had one (my current boat is a tiller steer with no protection at all) so a compromise here might be a console weather it be center or side its up to you keep in mind that these do use up a lot of usable space
  4. Two stroke or Four stroke. there is no argument here its four stroke all the way the technology is focused on the four stroke models.
  5. New V second hand. If you're buying second hand be patient you will find what you want it just takes time. If you're buying new you are in control and don't let a salesman take you for a ride they will its their job. After a while you will get a "feel" for what things are worth and whats over priced. and winter is the best time of year to buy
  6. Check the trailer after all that's what gets you to the ramp look for rust and DO NOT buy a painted trailer more than likely Its not galvanized and will rust. A new trailer can cost upwards of 4k for a 4.6 ish boat (thats a Brand new trailer)
  7. Electronics add $0 to the value of the boat these are just used as sales pitch

Hope this helps

6 hours ago, Joe Devereux said:

Gday Jameseast

I'm new to this forum stuff, however I'm always willing to pass on my experiences to others here is a few pointers that I have learned in the years I have owned boats.

1. You will never get a boat that does everything..... work out what your primary purpose of you boat is going to be. If its just to fish out of you will find that the usable space will start where you cabin ends
  2. Why do you want a cabin? a lot of people answer this question with "so I can sleep in it". that is an expensive bed. I owned a 6.8m boat with a cabin and found it was just another place to store stuff. I must admit I did do a couple of trips to outer reefs over night however this boat is  well out of your budget of 10k 
  3. this leads me to a boat with a windscreen. I'm in two minds about windscreens as a serious fisherman my personal prefrence is they get in the way, having said that there are times when I'm drowning in salt spray I wish i had one (my current boat is a tiller steer with no protection at all) so a compromise here might be a console weather it be center or side its up to you keep in mind that these do use up a lot of usable space
  4. Two stroke or Four stroke. there is no argument here its four stroke all the way the technology is focused on the four stroke models.
  5. New V second hand. If you're buying second hand be patient you will find what you want it just takes time. If you're buying new you are in control and don't let a salesman take you for a ride they will its their job. After a while you will get a "feel" for what things are worth and whats over priced. and winter is the best time of year to buy
  6. Check the trailer after all that's what gets you to the ramp look for rust and DO NOT buy a painted trailer more than likely Its not galvanized and will rust. A new trailer can cost upwards of 4k for a 4.6 ish boat (thats a Brand new trailer)
  7. Electronics add $0 to the value of the boat these are just used as sales pitch

Hope this helps

Perfect advice if I've ever heard it.basically you're saying that you need at least 2 boats 

7 hours ago, Cmaltby said:

basically you're saying that you need at least 2 boats

Haha yep... Every boat is a compromise. If you have a 6m glass one you'll wish you could go crabbing in the mangroves. If you have an open boat you will wish you could get out of the spray/rain.

Only advice I will give is if it is a glass boat and it has a soft floor and you don't know how to build a boat... run for the hills :)

• 1 month later...

thanks for all the feedback guys!! I think I am looking now towards more of just a basic aluminium tinny, i think its a good starting point and i will be able to take it on the bay and on rivers and lakes. I did have a question about the different types of tinny's; I see a few rectangular shaped tinnys...what are the restrictions and difference from a normal shaped tinny? are they more for rivers and lakes more so?

cheers guys

Archived