Reel Services

josha293

This is why it is soo important to service your reels regularly. This penn conflict is only a few months old and only gets used every now and then as i like to fish lite, the reel gets a good was down after every use but as you can see from the photos there is still alot of sand a gunk that got into the reel. Last thing you want is to be hooked up to a fish of a life time only for the reel to let you down or jam up from lack of services.

Cheers josh

20170429_154645.jpg

20170429_155957.jpg

20170429_155346.jpg

1 hour ago, Binder said:

my expensive baitcasters I service every now and then depending on use, the spinning reels I use for bait fishing - I generally buy new ones each season. Don't bother servicing them. The drags are usually totally shot after a few hundred bass.

Just a thought Binder, but have you considered a carbon drag upgrade? 

1 hour ago, Binder said:

my expensive baitcasters I service every now and then depending on use, the spinning reels I use for bait fishing - I generally buy new ones each season. Don't bother servicing them. The drags are usually totally shot after a few hundred bass.

What type of reels are you using?  If im using cheap and nasty i dont bother too much about a service, but for the more expensive reels i like to get as much use out of them as possible. Also if i fished fresh alot i would leave services a bit longer between each one but i love my salt

4 minutes ago, Gad said:

can`t beat an Alvey, give it a quick rinse in saltwater, spin the spool a few times and it`s right for another 3 months of twice weekly work outs :lol:

Wish they built spin reels the same,  although it would be hard to flick plastics with an Alvey 

must be something to do with the younger generations :P in the early 1980`s when the original red coloured Mr Twisty/Twister? first came out 75% of them would have been cast using an Alvey. With all the new light weight rods, reels and fine braids now available who would choose tennis elbow and heavy arms over disposable reels :lol:

8 hours ago, Gad said:

can`t beat an Alvey, give it a quick rinse in saltwater, spin the spool a few times and it`s right for another 3 months of twice weekly work outs :lol:

yeah, except I dont ,like winding at double the rate. Grew up  on alvey's, though tthey were great, then swapped over to baitcasters / spinning reels because in those days drag options on alveys were almost non existant. Years later when I got my first kayak I thought I would go back to an alvey because of the ability to get them wet, drove me nuts winding like a madman to get the lure to swim properly......and talk about wind knots in braid.....

Terry, not worth it on the price level reels I use, they are suited to the purpose, and as I said, cheaper to just replace. Don't even have to worry about swapping out the mono :)

Josha, usually I am looking for something in the 5 bearing range, infinite reverse of course, and must be able to swap to left handed (I usually fish with 2 rods, one set left handed, one set right handed, and swap back and forth). I usually try and pick my reels up for around $50 a pop in sales. If you were paying for a service, that would be at least half the price for a new reel. Having said that, I have not managed to get any this year, I am still using last years ! No one wants to play this year so far!

Yeah my father in law is a mad alvey fan. Alvey this, alvey that. Thought he was smart bringing it off shore one day. Hehe. 80m of water is not fun when you only get half a meter per wind. 

I'm all for reel servicing but I also watch my washing technique. Don't gurney the cap out of them. Just a light hose off and the expensive ones get some light soapy water and a sponge down. 

Look after your drag too. Nothing worse than a sticky drag.  Erskine smoothie used to be good drag grease (for use on smoothie drags) but I can't find it anymore so I use diawa stuff now. 

Archived