Chasing Seq Tilapia

Nickb2247

Hi everyone I wrote up this topic because I was really itching for a good fishing session. The last 3 times I went fishing, it was in salt and I caught squat all. I've done my research and I've had a few spots in mind( lake k, mungarra reserve, Caboolture river) I just need a spot where their is a good population of mullet tillapia bass tandanus or a fish that is relatively easy to catch if you could leave a location bait time of day and rig it would be much appreciated. Many thanks. Nick

• 2 years later...

G'day Nickb2247

Your best bet out of that list would be to try for tilapia - but make sure you are disposing of them correctly (binned or buried away from water). Try an Underwood lake with either a piece of unweighted bread on a tiny suicide hook or a light float with a piece of peeled prawn. Afternoon is the time to go - dusk. Check this tutorial out Team Madmullet Productions did, it is very helpful.

Here it is - 

First of all, do you own a boat of any form - it makes chasing Australian Bass much easier. My favourite spot to chase 'em is the Upper Brisbane River, and while I've never landed one there I've had a big run before and in the warmer months you see plenty leaping. Go for a morning session, and if you don't want to use lures, use live earthworms or river shrimp. You can catch these by soaking a Opera House Style trap from about Jindalee up or further if we get a big wash out (rain.) Leave the traps in overnight with a piece of oily fish or a chicken wing. Another advantage of this is if you want to just hook up to a fish, i can pretty much guarantee you you'll get a catfish, and while they aren't ideal, they put on a decent fight.

If you want to use lures, I'd go with a Cicada Jackall, a spinner bait, a deep diver lure (hard body) if you want a troll and a soft plastic (weedless or normal) if you want to flick into the snags. Though, this spot is only accessible at the Twin Bridges Crossing and only by kayak (no outboards allowed, electric motors ARE allowed though.)

The tackle you can use would be your general light spinning line and if you own a low profile setup (bait caster with low profile rod) I'd use that for lures. A 10-20lb fluorocarbon/mono leader can be used, and for live-baiting, no sinker unless it's a really small ball sinker. Let the bait swim into the snags, because while you may get busted off, the fish you'll get in there will be 100% worth it. (Trophy bass).

I suggest you go from early morning (around 6 or 7) 'till noon or just before and bring some food along (and drink). You can take a swim but be careful, I believe freshwater Stone fish inhabit this area.

If you don't own a boat, i would go with tilapia fishing as you are helping clean up the local area and exterminate a noxious fish and it's very easy. Check out some Team Madmullet Productions videos, the older ones are better for tutorials but on that channel you will find marlin fishing to bass fishing videos.

Cheers Hamish, hope this helps.

P.S. Sorry for the late reply, i didn't see this, in fact, i wasn't even on this website when you posted 🙂 lol #2yearslater