Hurry Up Spotty Macs

Drop Bear

Soooo I'm pretty new to Bay Mackerel fishing and haven't really had much success. I'm really keen to target them this summer and wanted to ask a few questions before I contribute to global warming, charging aimlessly around the bay. 

Is the plural for spotty Spotties or spottys? :lol: (very important question for this dyslexic angler)

When do the Spotties usually turn up and what is the best month/months for targeting them?

What is your favorite method to catch them?

Do you have any favorite spots? I have been told sand hills but have had no luck there and don't really know how much water to fish in. I have never had much luck beacon bashing. 

What is the best way to distinguish Spotties from School Mackerel? 

How important is water clarity? 

I plan to do a fair bit of paravaneing. What is your favorite lure? Do cut metals work or are spoons the go? Are the white plastic spoons ok? What speed do you like to troll at?

What lb leader is best for paravaneing?

Is there a better time of day/wind direction/moon phase to get them? I was told that during the day at full moon is rubbish as they have been eating all night?

What else do you want to tell me? :frantics:

6 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

haha ok I will probably need to do a fair bit of this. I would be trying to get them in the middle of the bay as I'm based in Wynnum.

Thanks for the tips. too windy today to even go and have a look. 

I am far from an expert mate but have some starting points...

I would expect with SE winds we have over the last few weeks that the warmer water will be pushing in. Anywhere from now on they could be around. I don't specifically target them but come across them when looking for tuna or any surface action. The spots down the side are more pro domination and more of them than schoolies. Dropping slugs to the bottom around the beacons and then retrieving full speed. Sound them up first so you don't waste your time. Live bait works well around the beacons too or floating lining pilchards. Heaps of ways to catch them. 

In the bay i have  caught them around the 4beacons floating pillies or throwing slugs . spotties have smaller well defined spots and a pointy lower jaw compared to schoolies larger spots that fade a little after capture and a blunt lower jaw. I will be hitting them up soon at the gold coast on the palm beach reef with reports to follow early december.

How important is water clarity? I'm no expert Rob but assume it's important. In the Dec issue of Bush n Beach Sean Conlon (Moreton Bay Fishing Charters) reckoned they should start popping up north of Peel in the bay (reckons too dirty south of Peel for a while yet). I've read that the schoolies are much harder to find/catch on bigger tides too - not sure if it is the same with spotties. That came from this source - http://reports.fishingmonthly.com.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&p=17696&sid=6844d30d77e260593ca54df75dfe5ece#p17696     Spero is very open with information and if you drop him an email he'll offer advice too - top bloke! His info is usually very current which helps to track them down. I haven't bought it yet (note to self: hurry up and do so!!) but pretty sure he mentioned he wrote an article in the Nov issue of QFM about mackerel in the bay, would be worth a read for sure.

I plan to do a fair bit of paravaneing. What is your favorite lure? Do cut metals work or are spoons the go? Are the white plastic spoons ok? What speed do you like to troll at? I put up a post on paravaning within the last year or so that @Tybo also had input into, do a search. My info was what Spero told me to try - pretty sure I'm using 30lb leader. I've only used the 3 inch Makka spoons (3 inch is the perfect size for the bay by all reports) but I've noted that Spero has used the white and also pink Smith's jigs and had success on both, I think slightly moreso than the Makka spoons. Water Tower tackleshop at Manly normally stocks all of these - I bought some white ones but haven't used them yet. Oh and I think around 4-6 knots is perfect.

What lb leader is best for paravaneing? 30lb as above.

Is there a better time of day/wind direction/moon phase to get them? I was told that during the day at full moon is rubbish as they have been eating all night? Pretty sure that's right about the full moon, and therefore they bite better around the new moon.

Good luck this summer - I'm looking forward to getting my next boat at some stage so I can zoom around a bit faster/further and target them more.

10 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Is the plural for spotty Spotties or spottys? :lol: (very important question for this dyslexic angler).

I'll let @Luvit cover this one Rob - his correct answers are more 'pro domination' than mine when it comes to spelling .... :whistle:

"The spots down the side are more pro domination and more of them than schoolies"

Spottees?

If you can't find them... Spotease?

13 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Is the plural for spotty Spotties or spottys? :lol: (very important question for this dyslexic angler).

I'll let @Luvit cover this one Rob - his correct answers are more 'pro domination' than mine when it comes to spelling .... :whistle:

"The spots down the side are more pro domination and more of them than schoolies"

I know I'm not a great speller but this auto spell check makes me look worse. 

Not sure if they were schoolies or Bonito/Tuna, but we went out today around the tip of North Reef and there were large groups of birds working big bustups everywhere - more than I've seen in a very long time. It was very choppy however and hard to maneuver int o them.

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts is on the best way to fish these bustups? They always seem to disperse when you motor in close to cast slugs - is it better to troll around the edges or drift pillys or perhaps something else? Also any kayak fishos on here? Have you had much luck specifically targeting macks/tuna in close in the bay?

1 hour ago, JohnTheFisherman said:

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts is on the best way to fish these bustups? They always seem to disperse when you motor in close to cast slugs - is it better to troll around the edges or drift pillys or perhaps something else?

I know with tuna (which can be very skittish) that it's best to not zoom over to them and then suddenly turn the motor off as the change in pitch/sound alarms them. So best to slow down before you get near them and keep the motor on rather than turn it off. Obviously if you can, work out which way they are moving and try to intercept them (in which case, if successful, you can turn the motor off). Assuming it's the same principles for targeting mackerel.

17 hours ago, JohnTheFisherman said:

Not sure if they were schoolies or Bonito/Tuna, but we went out today around the tip of North Reef and there were large groups of birds working big bustups everywhere - more than I've seen in a very long time. It was very choppy however and hard to maneuver int o them.

Sounds like long-tail tuna to me. While spotties can break the surface, I wouldn't call them big bustups. Mac tuna and bonito are generally the dumber of the tunas, and fairly easy to get near and catch.

On 25/11/2017 at 8:25 PM, Old Scaley said:

I really want to put some effort into the tuna and macs this summer. I would be keen to team up with others to learn from each other. 

Count me in also, an array of boats out on a day is good way of covering more ground.

2 minutes ago, Tybo said:

Sounds like long-tail tuna to me. While spotties can break the surface, I wouldn't call them big bustups. Mac tuna and bonito are generally the dumber of the tunas, and fairly easy to get near and catch.

Count me in also, an array of boats out on a day is good way of covering more ground.

It was very choppy but I didn't actually see any fish jump out like I have seen with the Long Tails here before - it was more just the birds working and the surface and lots of splashes under them so I am not sure to be honest. It would be unreal to catch a Longtail in so close to shore. Like you guys I am also very keen this season to chase the Tuna and Macks - I usually fish the bottom for Snapper, Sweetlip etc. and the only Macks I've caught have been strays taking a pilly.

To distinguish between spotties and schollies can I suggest that you get the DPI fisheries app. It's got a few bugs regarding maps etc., but as we don't have a rec license yet you can't expect miracles when only have  peanuts to pay. It lists the species, identification marks and legal limits, well worth the $0.00 to get if off your favoutite app store.

Longtails usually porpoise, Macs smash and boil, bonitos and mackerel have a very similar splash, with bonito not as aggresive.  Alway cast to the edge of a school and as others have said don't rush up to a school and then cut the motor, the change in revs can put them off. 

As  a fly fisherman I have to get really close to a school so I usually look at what direction the school is going then motor up in front of it  at a least a  100m or so then slowly idle down to it.

Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't I crack the s#$ts and drive up at full noise kill the engine and make a cast (5% it works :))

P.S. Alveys don't work in spotty fishing!!!!!

Sounds like a pelagic social once they show up will be needed. We spotted a few bust-ups out from Bribie yesterday, but it was just bait and birds. We also sounded some big balls of bait around  the water pump off woorim with one or two big arches around, nothing took our slugs though. Tuna is very high on my list in the next few months

I was thinking of doing a social in January down the gold coast over a whole weekend and chase the pelagics on the mermaid reef etc when they are thick. The season should be in full swing for mackies and cobia and the chance of little black marlin and dollies as well. You get your full range of mackies then Spanish, Spotties, Schoolies on rhe goldie reefs.

1 hour ago, tugger said:

I was thinking of doing a social in January down the gold coast over a whole weekend and chase the pelagics on the mermaid reef etc when they are thick. The season should be in full swing for mackies and cobia and the chance of little black marlin and dollies as well. You get your full range of mackies then Spanish, Spotties, Schoolies on rhe goldie reefs.

I'm in! 

2 hours ago, tugger said:

Plenty of tuna get around with the mackerel schools so throwing slugs at the bust ups is a lottery down there you could end up with a tuna or a spanish mack tearing off.

Archived