Australian Waters Qualification Course 9/12/17

Doyley

Got emailed this from the Caloundra Coastguard.  Thought someone might be interested.

Coast Guard Caloundra Supporters

Under Australian Federal Government legislation, all marine radio users, except those operating 27MHz maritime radio stations, must be qualified.

A new qualification—The Australian Waters Qualification (AWQ) has just been introduced. This new qualification is suitable for marine radio users who operate VHF marine radios in Australian Territorial Waters only.  (Australian Territorial Waters are defined as all waters up to 12 nautical miles from the Australian coastline.) 

Coast Guard Caloundra will be conducting an AWQ course at its headquarters located at Tripcony Lane off Maloja Avenue Caloundra on Saturday 9 December 2017. The course commences at 8:00 am and runs for 5 hours.

Cost of the course is $80.00 for financial supporters of Coast Guard Caloundra or $99.00 for non-financial supporters.

To register for the course ring the coast guard on 07 5491 3533

A lot of people complain that a radio licence is just some revenue raising crap but wait till you are out as sea in horrendous conditions doing a search and rescue and the idiots on the radio have no idea how to use it properly or even know their location at sea.

Proper radio use and protocols go a long way to shorten any search and rescue and teaching people how to know and communicate their location should also be compulsory in either the radio course or boating licence testing.

I've been meaning to do one for years too. It might be revenue raising, but I don't care, I think it's a worthwhile cause. I've contacted Redcliffe and Sandgate coast guard before in regards to their upcoming courses, but never heard boo back from either of them. Be happy to do it with someone, somewhere else one day, but yeah, I'm busy on the 9th too.

On 11/28/2017 at 1:32 PM, Tybo said:

I've been meaning to do one for years too. It might be revenue raising, but I don't care, I think it's a worthwhile cause. I've contacted Redcliffe and Sandgate coast guard before in regards to their upcoming courses, but never heard boo back from either of them. Be happy to do it with someone, somewhere else one day, but yeah, I'm busy on the 9th too.

I have contacted Manly and they got back to me. There is no more this year but they hope to have one in January. The 9th I have something on... what could it be?

I received a response from the Many VMR today 

======================

Robbie

As yet I have not set dated for the course next year but it is a full day and costings are $185.00 for the Long Range  and $135 for the short Range.
I do believe for the little;e extra you will have the full ticket so I think it is worth the extra effort.  
I will notify you when I have a date 

On 11/28/2017 at 1:24 PM, aussie123 said:

A lot of people complain that a radio licence is just some revenue raising crap but wait till you are out as sea in horrendous conditions doing a search and rescue and the idiots on the radio have no idea how to use it properly or even know their location at sea.

Proper radio use and protocols go a long way to shorten any search and rescue and teaching people how to know and communicate their location should also be compulsory in either the radio course or boating licence testing.

Pull out other thingie they mandate you have, push little red button over, and wait.  Not that complicated to bring rescuers to exactly where you are.....  :)

Archived