Weyba Creek Flatties

m_p

Could do with some tips. Been in noosa for a family holiday, staying at the RACV resort. Walked down to the river a few times in search of some flatties. Landed a treva and lost one on the surface. I walked all the way around Keyser Island casting around the weeds and all the sandflats, closest I got to a flathead was a small flounder and a flathead that I dropped soon after hooking it. I have been fishing the outgoing tide and some of the dead low tide. Can someone please tell me if I'm doing something wrong or if the fish might just be out of action at the moment.

You must be doing something right if you have had hook ups on the flathead and the flounder which are normally found in the same areas. Look for areas where the water funnels out as the tide drops that's where the F/head would ambush the bait coming out. Just remember that the fish will be harder to catch since they will have had a million lures and baits thrown at them over the holiday period. Best if you can get up early and try those spots before everyone else does and spooks them.

I was in what i would consider a perfect spot today, water running out as the tide was dropping around shallow sand flats and regularly spaced weed beds, but didn't see or spook any flathead in that area, only schools of tiny bream and whiting about 4 inches long. Using a z man slim swim for the most part. Guess i will just keep trying those areas until a flathead shows up. Thanks for the tips.

2 hours ago, m_p said:

I was in what i would consider a perfect spot today, water running out as the tide was dropping around shallow sand flats and regularly spaced weed beds, but didn't see or spook any flathead in that area, only schools of tiny bream and whiting about 4 inches long. Using a z man slim swim for the most part. Guess i will just keep trying those areas until a flathead shows up. Thanks for the tips.

With 4” whiting close by you would expect Flathead to be close by also. Sounds like you’re doing things right. Just perseverance. 

Try going for a wade way way further up from the actual entrance to the lake mouth to the North-West. There is some nice deep corners in the creek where the channel cuts through the adjoining mangrove edges in the rare places people haven't built houses. Cast net for some live herring and try for a jack there or off the sandbank dropoffs for a lizard.

Also Ellicat is right... that whole area, not only just in the last holiday period, but in general, is completely over-fished and over-crowded. It's hard to find a good spot to be honest so perseverance is key. It is actually a bit depressing they let it get this way. It used to be such a great little ecosystem and hideaway.

On 1/12/2018 at 4:46 PM, m_p said:

Can someone please tell me if I'm doing something wrong or if the fish might just be out of action at the moment.

Sounds like you know what you are doing. Those areas do get a fair bit of pressure and they can just shut down. For what its worth I have spent a fair bit of time in Wooli. Its quite similar to noosa. One year, one of my friends flogged the water with plastics for nearly a week with very little results. Then they just came on. We all caught stacks of them. Perhaps try mixing it up when its slow. A drifting a yabby with no sinker can be irresistible to them. The trick is to watch your line, if it stops its probably a fish so put some pressure on it. Ultra light line helps but if you go for 4lb expect to loose a few as they do that short super fast burst run that seems to regularly break me off. I use 6lb these days. Seems to work ok. I simply tie a small long shanked hook to the main 6lb line. easy and fast to reset and minimal stuff happening. The places you were fishing sound great. I like the last 2 hours of run out tide.  

8 hours ago, m_p said:

Its quite a shame that the fishing is so tough in such a beautiful area, i ended up fishing off a bridge with some prawns as bait and landed a few bream and some finger mark. 

Nice mate. Its an awesome spot. If you can just buy some prawns and catch a feed its pretty impressive after that much fishing pressure. 

We go to Noosa in the September holidays and have a great time on the flatties and trevs in particluar. Was there last weekend and caught a heap of Bream, Grunter and Silver, you just have to know the spots. Agreed the bottom gets and absolute flogging in Summer but the system is very healthy and bounces back quickly. Now if only we could ban lake lice.....but that's another rant.

1 hour ago, Nog said:

greed the bottom gets and absolute flogging in Summer but the system is very healthy and bounces back quickly. Now if only we could ban lake lice.....but that's another rant.

yep it seems very health. And they have just improved it by introducing Oyster Reefs! :fishing2:

Should I ask what a Lake Lice is? Sounds more like a can of worms :frantics::lol:

Archived