Longer Rods

hooklineandsinker

In the USA they use 7' , 7,6",8' baitcasters, it makes it easier to rip the teeth out of the fish they catch.:no::no::no: if you want greater distance from your baitcaster reel then use rocket fuel its a light oil that makes everything work faster in the reel.Oh is it a baitcaster rod you are asking about.

Dino

Guest Kendaric

This push and marketing hype about longer rods annoys the crap out of me.  The casting distance between a 6' and 7' rod is only very marginal.  We have bought into the hype.  

This longer rod phenomenon has come about because it is easier to make carbon fibre blanks that don't make them too brittle, by using longer lengths and slower tapers, primarily by Japanese manufacturers, to reduce warranty claims. It is known than Shimano and Daiwa carbon blanks are over-rated and of a slower action than the 'norm' for donkeys years, but we have become accustomed to it, because they are the ones that pay the most for fishing shows and 'professional' amatuer fisherman.  To watch shows like Mark Bergs Fishing, where the Daiwa rods are doubled over right to the reel seat when tackling reef fish highlights my point.  It is blood pathetic.  Even Peter Pakula has indicated on his blog that many rods are vastly overrated.  The presenter of Tackle World fishing shows is also guilty of this under-rated slow action rods being used - because that is what they are paid to use.  It also feeds fishermans egos to have a 37kg rated rod, that is only really suitable for 15kg.  For some, I think having a longer rod is to compensate for something shorter.

Any 'standard' rod (not a beach rod) over 6' is a pain in the backside, as it gets in the way of everything when maneuvering.  A longer rod also increase leverage to the fish - unless it is a slow actioned japanese rod, where the slow action also increase leverage to the fish, because you have no low down power to lift the bugger.

If you need a 7-8' rod for threadline bream fishing to improve your casting distance, I'd be looking closer at your setup and technique.

A shorter rod (not including short strokers which are the worst game rod I have ever come across) gives you more control and accuracy.

Stick to your 5'6" - 6' baitcaster, for a baitcaster.

I wouldn't go by anything you see in an American fishing show - they simply don't fish the same way we do - we fish with more  finesse, they 'grind' fish.  Many cases, they don't even use their rods to fight the fish - they point the rod at the fish and crank and wind hard with heavy braid (not uncommon to use 50lb braid on a baitcaster for bass).

On 24/01/2018 at 2:57 AM, Dinodadog said:

In the USA they use 7' , 7,6",8' baitcasters, it makes it easier to rip the teeth out of the fish they catch.:no::no::no: if you want greater distance from your baitcaster reel then use rocket fuel its a light oil that makes everything work faster in the reel.Oh is it a baitcaster rod you are asking about.

Dino

Yeah for a baitcaster mate. Sorry haven’t been on for a while have been planning a wedding  *joy*

On 26/01/2018 at 4:27 PM, Kendaric said:

This push and marketing hype about longer rods annoys the crap out of me.  The casting distance between a 6' and 7' rod is only very marginal.  We have bought into the hype.  

This longer rod phenomenon has come about because it is easier to make carbon fibre blanks that don't make them too brittle, by using longer lengths and slower tapers, primarily by Japanese manufacturers, to reduce warranty claims. It is known than Shimano and Daiwa carbon blanks are over-rated and of a slower action than the 'norm' for donkeys years, but we have become accustomed to it, because they are the ones that pay the most for fishing shows and 'professional' amatuer fisherman.  To watch shows like Mark Bergs Fishing, where the Daiwa rods are doubled over right to the reel seat when tackling reef fish highlights my point.  It is blood pathetic.  Even Peter Pakula has indicated on his blog that many rods are vastly overrated.  The presenter of Tackle World fishing shows is also guilty of this under-rated slow action rods being used - because that is what they are paid to use.  It also feeds fishermans egos to have a 37kg rated rod, that is only really suitable for 15kg.  For some, I think having a longer rod is to compensate for something shorter.

Any 'standard' rod (not a beach rod) over 6' is a pain in the backside, as it gets in the way of everything when maneuvering.  A longer rod also increase leverage to the fish - unless it is a slow actioned japanese rod, where the slow action also increase leverage to the fish, because you have no low down power to lift the bugger.

If you need a 7-8' rod for threadline bream fishing to improve your casting distance, I'd be looking closer at your setup and technique.

A shorter rod (not including short strokers which are the worst game rod I have ever come across) gives you more control and accuracy.

Stick to your 5'6" - 6' baitcaster, for a baitcaster.

I wouldn't go by anything you see in an American fishing show - they simply don't fish the same way we do - we fish with more  finesse, they 'grind' fish.  Many cases, they don't even use their rods to fight the fish - they point the rod at the fish and crank and wind hard with heavy braid (not uncommon to use 50lb braid on a baitcaster for bass).

Mate that was amazing. I learnt so much by reading that. After reading all that I think I am just going to stick to my bait caster and get use to it, as I have only just come back from a long absence of not fishing

I couldn't agree more with Kendaric. I was about to post my own (much less detailed and informed rant) suggesting that I personally don't see the great advantage in long rods. Yes longer rods give you a better casting distance - but only if providing that the lure weight matches the power/action of that rod. If you have a super long but light weight 'floppy' rod and you try to chuck big heavy lures with it, it won't cast as far as a short rod that's well matched to the lure weight. And as Kendaric said, even when the rod is well matched to the lure/weight, the extra distance you get with a 7' to 8' vs a 5' to 6' isn't that hugely significant in my experience, unless you're using big beach rods. 

I usually look for shorter (5' to 6') rods, (in BC and in spinners), because I find them to be more accurate for pinpoint casting, closer control of the hooked fish, and because they're just easier to manage when walking through the bush/along creeks or in a kayak/canoe. There's absolutely no point in having a long rod when fishing from a kayak/canoe (or probably boat as well), because the yak/boat gives you all the manouverability and changes of angle that you need, and for that reason also super long casts are rarely required. All you need is a rod that's long enough to manouvre around the front tip of your kayak. 

I do like a 6'6'' or a 7' rod when fishing on foot from open banks like dams or big wide rivers. Also when walking, when vegetation or steep banks prevent easy access to get your rod near the water then a long rod gives you the extra reach to get around that bush, branch or rock etc... But then on the flip side that long rod is harder to cast when there's vegetation/branches above or around you getting stuck on your rod tip. Also you'll want a two-piece so you can carry it easier through the bush when you're walking along. 

For all these reasons I've never understood why it's so hard to find shorter rods, why most seem to be at least 6'6''+. Kendaric's post seems to explain this.

-Steve.

Hi all,

My opinion to the question is. It all depends of how and where you plan to fish. 

If u plan to fish from the bank or in tight quarters a shorter rod would be best. A rod around 5.6 to 6 foot would be best.

But if u plan to fish from a boat and plan to make long casts rods around 6.6 to 7 foot would be a better choice in my opinion.

I like a rod around 6.6 to 6.10 foot range with a extra fast taper. I fell into the trap about listening into the masses about what rod is best both length and actions.

My example is this. Years ago I won a 7 foot g loomis crank bait rod. it is a mod to fast action. Fished with it for a year so and enjoyed it. I then bought the same rod in the 6.6 size paired up with the same reel and braid. Guys I talked too said the 6.6 is the better  size amusted anglers. But The 7 foot casted I lot easier for more distance. 

About the action of rods. U will read articles with people saying that a softer action rod will help hooks from pulling. In my experience. I have pulled more hooks from a soft action rod then faster action rod. 

To sum it up. It all  comes down to personal choice. If u can go fishing with a mate and try different rods to make up your mind to what u like.

Chris

Probably not relevent but wanted to type something... :lol:

I like my medium 12 foot for beach and normal rock fishing

I like my heavy 11 foot rod for big fish off rocks

I like my light 10 foot for casting large plastics and slugs off the rocks and beach

I like my 7.6 for slug casting to schools

I like my 7 foot for small plastics around sandy beach and rock areas 

I like my  6.6 and 6 foot rods for lots of things

I would like a short jigging rod

Um... 

3 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Probably not relevent but wanted to type something... :lol:

I like my medium 12 foot for beach and normal rock fishing

I like my heavy 11 foot rod for big fish off rocks

I like my light 10 foot for casting large plastics and slugs off the rocks and beach

I like my 7.6 for slug casting to schools

I like my 7 foot for small plastics around sandy beach and rock areas 

I like my  6.6 and 6 foot rods for lots of things

I would like a short jigging rod

Um... 

We can justify everything can't we ....... :) And yet we complain about women and their shoes ........ :whistle:

Archived