1 Cobia 10 Unstoppables

tugger

Went out through spb yestetday and hit up the group it was hard anchoring as tide and wind were against each other. By the time i got it sorted we had a hit on the top live bait and a big barracuda was giving me curry we released it after a few choice words as it ate 1 of only 2 slimie mackerel livies we had.

We did have plenty of little yakkas and i dropped 1 to the bottom only to have it hit straight away. This fish was a wrestle it didn't want to come away from the bottom i had my heart in my mouth a few times as i know what the bottom is like as i have lost many fish to the reefs sharp edges. What seemed like an eternity i started to gain line eventually seeing colour the call cobia was made and after a choice gaff shot a good cobia was in the boat.

20180124_074953.thumb.jpg.31c3ca0f99588935a572b93269a0a416.jpg

After despatching, bleeding and chilling down the cobes in an ice slurry we got back to fishing. Dropping down live yakkas to the bottom both Terry and i managed to be reefed by many more cobes most of the time they were hitting the livies as soon as it hit the bottom.

Frustrated we persisted and soon enough another surface bait was hit it was a good spanish but alas lost boatside with the silver gleam of its sides disappering. It was 1 of those days where not everything goes to plan so with the livies tank spent and the bite over we headed for home. 

At home we measured the cobes at 1.25m and a gues of weight at around 15kg.

1 hour ago, Cobiaaddict said:

NIce Fish Mate,

There great fun in tight country.

Should start seeing some really large fish pushback through the bay and offshore over the next few months, 

I have got a few big cobes this season it is starting to look good

58 minutes ago, Luvit said:

It only takes one nice fish to make a trip  successful. The Spanish would have been a bonus. Have to give the live bait thing a go one day, it certainly works for you. 

They were brutes they know where the reef eges are , the live baiting is a good way to attrack the big fish Wayne.

Archived