Knife Sharpener

Luvit

I was fed up with my fishing knives not being sharp due to my lack of sharpening skills. So rather than spend many hours trying to hone my skills and buy different grades of wet stones etc l spent the time researching good electric knife sharpeners.

There were 2 that seem to be the market leaders, Nirey and Chef's choice. After weigh up the pros & cons of each brand I decided on the Chef's choice brand.

As luck would have it a person on gumtree was selling one that had been used once along with a few other miscellaneous kitchen appliances. He wanted $170 for the sharpener and they retail for around the $240 mark plus delivery.

I said l would be happy to pay cash and pick it up that day and what would he take for it. $120 was bargain, so once I bought it home I spent about 30 minutes working out how to use it and got it to a stage where the knives could shave paper and hair off my arm. I have never been able to sharpen knife like this by using an oil stone. ATM I can not get it as sharp as a professional person who sharpen knives (charge $8 per knife), however the 30 minute drive to drop them off and then same again to pick them up was inconvenient. So now it takes me about 3 minutes to sharpen a knife and the bonus was the wife was happy we now have 10 x kitchen knives that are also sharp. So this machine will pay for its self many times over and reviews say they last in-excess of 10 years.

IMG_4652.thumb.jpg.0974b53cb37bf6f56cd759f7f4701db4.jpg

The Chef'sChoice Diamond Hone EdgeSelect Knife Sharpener Model 120 delivers fast, foolproof results and highly durable edges for straight edge and serrated 20 knives.

3-Stage sharpener with precision angle control
100% diamond abrasives in Stages 1 and 2
Unique stropping and polishing Stage 3 for hairsplitting sharpness
EdgeSelect features allows choice of optimum edges for gourmet, butcher, sporting and serrated knives
This lightning fast professional home sharpener creates, in seconds, the novel Trizor-Plus edge which can be customized to suit each cutting task! It sharpens straight-edge and serrated knives and is so easy to use, anyone can put astonishingly sharp, long-lasting edges on knives in seconds. You can select extremely sharp hair-splitting edges that slide smoothly and effortlessly through delicate foods like smoked salmon and prosciutto or alternately, edges with varying amounts of bite for more demanding jobs, like cutting tough fibrous foods and meats.

100% fine diamond-coated conical disks in Stage 1 and Stage 2 form the first and second bevels of a durable, arch-shaped edge.

In Stage 3, a revolutionary flexible stropping disk creates an ultrasharp polished third bevel and cutting tip while polishing the first two bevels to form sharp cutting flutes that enhance the cutting action on both sides of the edge. Built-in high-precision elastomeric angle guides eliminate guesswork and ensure hair-splitting sharpness time after time. Its ruggedly built and backed by a limited 3-year warranty. The unit is compact (approximately 10 long x 4 x 4). Resilient elastomer feet hold the unit securely to the work surface. The ChefsChoice Diamond Hone EdgeSelect Plus Model 120 requires no sharpening oils or liquids. Engineered and assembled in the U.S.A.

After our last trip to 1770 the filleting when I got home was a lot easier with a sharp knife. 

If anyone is the same as me this maybe a worthwhile investment in the future.

Wouldn't be without it now I've owned one.

I think most of the good quality one's

are on a par Wayne.

They have to keep up to the competition or lose sales.

Instead of spending a day sharpening knives on

pig killing day it only takes half hour to be all set to go.

You'll enjoy it, you'll soon have all the kitchen knives sharp.

I even do my bone handled bread/butter knives so you can use them

as steak knives.:whistle:

Cheers

Gary.

9 minutes ago, Angry51 said:

I even do my bone handled bread/butter knives so you can use them

as steak knives.:whistle:

:lol:

10 minutes ago, Angry51 said:

Instead of spending a day sharpening knives on

pig killing day it only takes half hour to be all set to go.

Yeah, I know what you mean.

My knives now go through the bacon's, plastic wrapping so easy. ;) 

Wayne, You would not believe this.

Went to sharpen a knife this arvo and got smoke pouring out the

back of my Nirey. Blew the cut out in main power box.:no:

I dont think it's worth getting it looked at, might just buy new one.

It is 10 years old and had a lot of work.

Will look at AMT next week when in Townsville.

Cheers 

Gary

be careful sharpening kitchen knives properly, leads to band aids and grief in my experience.......

I only sharpen fishing knives to a proper state, kitchen knifes I buy Wiltshire staysharps, they stay sharp enough for the missus without getting me in trouble.

38 minutes ago, rayke1938 said:

Picked up a new new chefs choice 110 for 30 bucks on gumtree today. Knocked it down from $50.

There are a couple of nireys there also but a lot dearer.

Cheers

Ray

I just went from happy with my purchase to ripped off :P

Good for anybody wanting to get one. 

Got  my new sharpener yesterday at AMT T/ville.:ausflag:

Got a Chef's Choice for 299.00 it's different to yours Wayne in

that it has rough wheel on left and 2 finer ones on right.

I suspect it an earlier model. Yours is probably new stock.

Any how it works better than my old burnt out Nirey.

Cheers

Gary.

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up with a Japanese sharpening stone after all my fancy sharpeners fail to get a good edge (I have a Global three stage sharpener and an old interlocking wheel  one).

I got the 1000/4000 grit stone with sharpening guide (looks like a fancy bulldog clip).

Most of my family have now a trimmed fingers, including yours truly. Bloody brilliant. 

Archived