Biodegradable Sinkers

goldnugget

Hi guys...I spotted biodegradable sinkers at my Big W store and was wondering if anyone out there either uses them or has used them. How quickly do they break down...I'm guessing they'd only be good for the day once their wet. Sizes seem limitted though...and I haven't heard anything about them. Anyone?

I've been using them exclusively bait fishing in dams for about 6 months.

Some dams are \"lead free\", so I go lead free on all dams now.

I use new sinkers each trip, so I dont know how well they \"re-use\". The ones that have been in my shed for 6 months look the same as they did the day I bought them, same goes for those in my tackle box. So they dont break down to soon!

They are also quite large for their weight, suit paternoster rigs fine, but I would think a running sinker might not work so well because of the size.

i believe these are a cast steel they came about many years ago in pomme land when they realised the swans etc were eating stones for their digestion and were picking up lead as well then later on dieing from lead poisoning .i think on norfolk island they use stones with a hole drilled through them .if im sharking in the river with big gear of the bank ill use a house brick as a sinker it might not degrade but its just cover for the fish as i normally lose the \"sinker\" when i get a hit and i dont have to cast:)

Now that you mention it They have the look of blast furnace slag (the froth off the top of casting steel vats),we used to use it a lot in road construction, and the pellets looked just like that before it was ground up.

I get my lead free jig heads from Canada, they are made of bismuth, so are slightly larger than the lead jig heads for the same size, and cost a packet. I think Bismuths SG is around 9.5, while leads is up around 12, but that is from a rusty memory so is likely wrong!

Because of the price I only use them where lead is actually banned (Baroon Pocket), I use normal jig heads elsewhere. When my current supply runs out, I will most likely just stick with hard bodies in lead free areas. (No plastics)

Bismuth is actually being used as a lead replacement in shot for shotgun shells

I've tried these shells and no way do they smoke a clay target as good as lead :(

and lack the range of lead due to the weight /size ratio

I would imagine the same would run true with sinkers the larger the size the more air friction for the same weight :blink:

Gaz

All true Gazza.

Apart from cost, its why I only use them when I have to, definately affects the casting, and I reckon the plastic action as well.

I would have thought you could have found a yank to supply you with some environmentally friendly depleted uranium for your shottie shells, that would do the job!

Archived