Wednesday Shark Fishing

Drop Bear

Hey all.

I hope you are all super well. 

The weather on Wed looks mint!!!!!! Get amongst it if you can. 

My 8 year old nephew is up from Sydney for a few days. Being an inner city boy he is quite adept at catching Pokemon but I want to get him onto a shark. 

The plan is to go to local park and catch 2 eels on Tuesday afternoon then head out with Daughter Drop Bear and her Boyfriend and Nephew Drop Bear Wed Morning and see how we go. I will take 4 rods; 2 x over head with shark rigs and 2 with jigs to see if there are any spotties or schoolies around. 

I have a question. 

Last time we went we caught a good fish and took it to Mud Island to unhook and get some photos. It was pretty docile in the shallow waters. We insured it stayed in the water and its gills were under water all the time. It  swam off strongly and calmly. Has anyone got tips on best practice to handle sharks in shallow water or is there any videos you have seen that show the do's and don'ts?  This is for sharks health as well as ours... remembering my Nephew is only 8.

Any how wish us luck. I will try and get some nice pics up on Thursday. 

33 minutes ago, christophagus said:

How far from Mud do you fish? How far do you travel to get it into shallow water?

We fish pretty close to Mud. It took about 5 mins to get there at about 2 knots. We made sure that the shark's mouth and gills were under water and it was facing forward so that water was going through its mouth the whole time. 

21 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

We fish pretty close to Mud. It took about 5 mins to get there at about 2 knots. We made sure that the shark's mouth and gills were under water and it was facing forward so that water was going through its mouth the whole time. 

Nice one

for me, I like to keep them in the water just deep enough to cover there gills, but not deep enough that they can swim and maneuver easily. That way you have greater control of them and less chance of the shark getting to you. So keep the head in the water, and the tail mostly out of the water. They can still thrash around but can’t really move a whole lot. So just be cautious of the tail. Doesn’t look like much, but this pic was courtesy of a tail slap from a 80cm shark I caught yesterday. Also removed some skin on my toes....Still stings haha753325BE-BFBC-4861-AD71-011D78508482.thumb.jpeg.7bb2e7d34d7231c5dd1cbd29fbeee20e.jpeg

A tail rope can also be a good tool to use. Control that big powerful tail, and you will be much safer. Otherwise, just attempt to dehook it boat side. 

1 hour ago, benno573 said:

watch some episodes of big angry fish or even the ultimate fishing show where they regularly catch sharks and always take them to the beach to land.  they do it very easily and calmly and the sharks are usually pretty chilled out too.

Love that show. Good excuse to watch a few 🙂

Archived