Interesting Bream Data

From Fisheries QLD

Yellowfin bream is one of the most popular fish to catch and eat in Queensland. At minimum legal size (25 cm) they can be anywhere between 4 and 10 years old. The oldest yellowfin bream our monitoring team has encountered was 21 years old and 31 cm long (fork length). You can check how old your bream could be using the graph below. Most yellowfin bream fish change sex, from male to female, during their life. This is referred to as being ‘protandrous’.

No photo description available.

4 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

From Fisheries QLD

Yellowfin bream is one of the most popular fish to catch and eat in Queensland. At minimum legal size (25 cm) they can be anywhere between 4 and 10 years old. The oldest yellowfin bream our monitoring team has encountered was 21 years old and 31 cm long (fork length). You can check how old your bream could be using the graph below. Most yellowfin bream fish change sex, from male to female, during their life. This is referred to as being ‘protandrous’.

No photo description available.

Hi Dropbear

Age of bream for the length is a real issue for me , I just don't take them regardless of length, fillet of a so called legal bream is piss poor , from what I have read a legal bream is aprox 10 years old, not worth the effort, sorry mate don't mean to spoil your party😎

6 hours ago, MSB said:

Hi Dropbear

Age of bream for the length is a real issue for me , I just don't take them regardless of length, fillet of a so called legal bream is piss poor , from what I have read a legal bream is aprox 10 years old, not worth the effort, sorry mate don't mean to spoil your party😎

All good mate. No party spoiled. Each to their own.

I don't take bream very often either but I have in the past and probably will again. I get 4 boneless pieces off each bream and find them delicious and a very worthy dinner.

The southern black bream (Acanthopagrus butcheri) has a much slower growth rate and there has been a lot reported on this but the yellow fins are not that slow to grow reaching legal size in as little as 3 years. 

10 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

All good mate. No party spoiled. Each to their own.

I don't take bream very often either but I have in the past and probably will again. I get 4 boneless pieces off each bream and find them delicious and a very worthy dinner.

The southern black bream (Acanthopagrus butcheri) has a much slower growth rate and there has been a lot reported on this but the yellow fins are not that slow to grow reaching legal size in as little as 3 years. 

Mate I will take a couple if they are 32cm +, you are correct they are excellent eating, wasn't aware of the difference in growth rate between the different species so thanks for pointing that out, hope you catch a few😎

3 hours ago, MSB said:

Mate I will take a couple if they are 32cm +, you are correct they are excellent eating, wasn't aware of the difference in growth rate between the different species so thanks for pointing that out, hope you catch a few😎

damb now you have made me pack a second rod for the Moreton Trip tomorrow haha. Neet to try for some dart and bream in the wash.