Motor Supports

Hweebe

Thoughts on a block  of wood / sleeper or one of those rubber keel rollers?

My boat and trailer did not come with any support but have always said i need to get around to it. Have thought about the tilt support arm but the Yamaha Owners Manual clearly states:

"Do not use the tilt support lever or knob when trailering the boat. The outboard motor could shake loose from the tilt support and fall. If the motor cannot be trailered in the normal running position, use an additional support device to secure it in the tilt position"

This then becomes a question of what is a "normal running position" before a support arm is required?

1 hour ago, Hweebe said:

My boat and trailer did not come with any support but have always said i need to get around to it. Have thought about the tilt support arm but the Yamaha Owners Manual clearly states:

"Do not use the tilt support lever or knob when trailering the boat. The outboard motor could shake loose from the tilt support and fall. If the motor cannot be trailered in the normal running position, use an additional support device to secure it in the tilt position"

This then becomes a question of what is a "normal running position" before a support arm is required?

They're only talking about when you're taking it out of the water. Most people just risk it, but a block of wood would do the trick I think.

3 hours ago, Hweebe said:

Interesting discussion. I used to have one of those cheap support arms on a previous tinnie, but it fell off somewhere on the road between Burrum Heads and Hervey Bay and I never replaced it. I have had the current boat since 2006 and have never had one on it, just relied on the tilt support lever. Probably should have read the manual more closely. I haven’t had a problem yet but interested to hear if others are using/not using them and which ones you recommend. @ellicat, maybe this deserves its own topic?

The bracket keeps the motor leg raised  off the ground and is not reliant on the hydraulic ram to keep the leg up, on my particular trailer, if I travel with my motor down, my skeg would be about 50mm off the ground, so if I travel at speed on a highway and hit a deep pothole then you can imagine what damage it would sustain. If I rely solely on the hydraulics to keep my leg above the ground, the same result would happen if the hydraulics lost pressure, the leg would drop down and being in the drivers seat I wouldn't know about it till I hit that  pothole. This bracket keeps the leg at a set height so if the hydraulics fail for what ever reason, the leg would still be supported at that set height by the bracket.

• 1 month later...

If your motor has  hydraulic tilt and trim, you can position a piece of PVC tubing over the cylinder(s) shaft  and then lower the motor onto the pipe. If you have to split the pipe to make it go around the shaft, wrap a piece of velcro around the pipe to keep it in place.

6 minutes ago, gungadin said:

If your motor has  hydraulic tilt and trim, you can position a piece of PVC tubing over the cylinder(s) shaft  and then lower the motor onto the pipe. If you have to split the pipe to make it go around the shaft, wrap a piece of velcro around the pipe to keep it in place.

Has this worked for you? Wouldn't PVC be too brittle to absorb vibrations? 

Yes I have, it was on a 60hp Yamaha, Enduro that I had put a trim and tilt system from a 200hp. It had two open ended trim cylinders that I just used to slip a couple of pieces of  white 3/4" pipe over, the lower the engine onto them,  On my trips up island from Campbell River to Port Hardy there was never a problem. I replaced them about every two years. 

2 hours ago, gungadin said:

I call that being thrifty....why spend $100 when a $2 piece will do the same job