Go to solution Solved by Ed.,

18 hours ago, jon said:

Yeah man  a full blown reef trip on ultimate one is on my bucket list which seems to get Longer sooner than it does shorter. Mite have to wait a couple of years though heading to Vanuatu next year with Damo to hopefully get my xos dogtooth of my list😁

Jon - when are you going? I've booked in for November 8-13with my brother

12 hours ago, Sneaky1 said:

Are you the guy with the red bass ? I know that face from somewhere not sure where but I will probably remember when I'm not trying to remember

Nah that's Fergie with the red bass. He's been around the AFO fishing traps for years and is generally found fishing the north side of Brissie. Hasn't been active on the site for a while but if you search for fergie you will see his old posts.

The poster is John - the first guy in the set of photos. Which is funny - because for a man who own a fishing site (john is co-owner of AFO) I really don't see him with fish too often 😄

@Kenne - yep that's him - Ricciard is his name (not quite Ricciardo who is the F1 driver). And yeah - its the local villagers that help support Baia lodge. When I went a few years ago, the closest road was ~2 hours by boat. The village had ~200 people and so Ricciard was a big helper in terms of being able to regularly bring medicine etc to them, or take villagers to the local nurse outpost (2 hours away) and employed and trained the locals in helping run the lodge. Low footprint, helping the locals and really connecting people with a world that is so remote, simple and amazing.

On 15/12/2020 at 11:14 AM, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Jeez everyone, those are sone amazing trips. My mate goes to PNG yearly because he comes from up there. I’m going to try abs convince him to do one of these. Haha.

I’ve heard Black Bass, Spot-Tail Bass, etc taste excellent. Did anyone try one?

Cheers Hamish 

yeah we ate a couple of (or was it just 1??) spot tails for lunch on our trip.

Made a bush fire on the side of the bank with a cooking rack made out of bamboo that we cut down.

BBQ'd up the fish and it was amazing! Unsurprisingly, very similar to a jack. Couldn't tell you any detailed flavour profiles since it has been so long and the cooking method wasn't my usual way of eating fish. I just remember thinking it was the same as a jack.

EDIT - was hoping to find a picture of the bbq from a previous post but no love - but here's the report from Angus on that trip if you wanna see it -

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/12/2020 at 9:57 AM, Do$tylz said:

Nah that's Fergie with the red bass. He's been around the AFO fishing traps for years and is generally found fishing the north side of Brissie. Hasn't been active on the site for a while but if you search for fergie you will see his old posts.

The poster is John - the first guy in the set of photos. Which is funny - because for a man who own a fishing site (john is co-owner of AFO) I really don't see him with fish too often 😄

@Do$tylz I think he is referring to my profile pic of me which is one of the several red bass I caught that day.... 🙃

1.jpg.6c3258fe774455abd95ff93f0f5fb6ce.jpg.878e8c2a2d6451921b1d2a1e1a037d82.jpg