Starting out Jetty fishing Ugly Stik Carbon

Gzup

I've only ever fished on local jetties and am wanting to get back into it after years off, still on jetties and maybe some rocks.

Is the Ugly Stik Carbon a good rod for jetty fishing? I'm thinking the 3-6kg 7" one. I like it because its supposedly light and half decent. this one

I thought id get some info from the experts here before pulling the trigger. Cheers.

56 minutes ago, Gzup said:

I've only ever fished on local jetties and am wanting to get back into it after years off, still on jetties and maybe some rocks.

Is the Ugly Stik Carbon a good rod for jetty fishing? I'm thinking the 3-6kg 7" one. I like it because its supposedly light and half decent. this one

I thought id get some info from the experts here before pulling the trigger. Cheers.

For the price your better off getting a shimano raider or daiwa TD hyper the ugly stik carbon rods feel ok but for the price of $130-$140 it simply isn’t worth it when daiwa shimano and many other brands are ahead in the game for light-medium carbon/graphite spinning rods .at this price point I’d highly recommend you check out the atomic arrowz estuary 6-12lb model great rod for around the same price but cheaper or a bit more expensive depending where you get it from . it’s a 3-5kg rod 7 foot graphite rod that is great for on breakwalls or jetties can definitely handle some big fish great with lures and baits light and sensitive but has a nice strong backbone you can choose a between a 2pc or a 1pc model . Hope that helps

Personally I haven't fished with one of the Ugly Carbon rods but I did ring the distributor and was told that these ones are not made like the traditional Ugly Stiks and so you can't high stick them like you can with the older range. So they will be more fragile than their predecessors, similar to other typical graphite rods.

4 minutes ago, Gzup said:

Righto cheers. I might be able to get a hold of this one, that’s the one yeah? That’s all depending on stock though, which looks like I might be out of luck. 

I forgot to mention I need a 2 piece rod. 

Yes if you can get a hold of that one that should be perfect for your needs that’s the 2pc model the 2 in 270m stands for 2 piece the 70 stands for 7 foot and ML stands for medium light 6-14lb but yeah sometimes you have to wait a few days because the rods are quite popular now

3 hours ago, Gzup said:

I think I will go with the 6-12lb one like you said. Would a 3000 reel be good for it? I’ve got an old 3000 I can use till I can get something good.

Yeah a 3000 should fit perfectly I have a Shimano Stradic ci4+FB 2500 on mine but my 2500 size shimano is on the lighter side and the rod can definitely handle a heavier reel 

Hey @Gzup

If you plan to do bait fishing, you may as well go with a traditional Ugly Stik. The reason being, this will not break and will be suitable for fishing with baits. 

If you plan to do fishing with lures, or more so with lures, you may be better of with the rods Bro recommended, or an Abu Garcia Veritas.

Cheers Hamish

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Gzup said:

Hey mates i’m back. 

What kind of braid would you recommend for this setup? Is 12lb enough I have no idea. 

Hi Gzup

12LB would be perfect. You could fish a tiny bit lighter or heavier but that is nice in the middle. Just remember, if you are using braid you will need to tie some mono/fluorocarbon leader to your line, for abrasion resistance. 

Cheers Hamish

2 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey Greg

Yes, that is true. But I got the impression the outfit Gzup was talking about was quite light. I don't think you'd want something too heavy. A 10 pound fish is pretty big!

Hamish

Hi Hamish,

Sorry. I didn’t mean it that way. I’m sure 10lb is perfect. It’s just that I’m still getting used to using 15lb for whiting! Lol.

cheers

Greg

10 hours ago, Gzup said:

I’ve seen quite a few lines are only available in 10 or 15lb. Would 15 be too much? 10 seems a little light I dunno..

if your chasing fish like bream flathead and maybe the odd tailor your better off using 10lb braid . If your not chasing small speices such as bream whiting baitfish etc often and are targeting fish like bigger flathead tailor snapper salmon juvenile GT your better off with the 15lb . My setup with 15lb braid on it is a 4000 size reel matched with a 4-7kg rod  . I recently bought it and im keen to try it out on some snapper big tailor or whatever else I can catch on it