Bream/Jack fishing with Poppers?

chubbstar

:huh: Has anyone here caught Bream or Jack's on Popper? I've just purchased my first Popper, it's a River2sea Bubble Pop35 3.5cm 4gm.

What leader would you recomend? I'll be using 6lb braid with either 6lb, 8lb or 12lb leader. I have 30lb:blink: but I think it'll be over kill:blush:

Any tips people?

I'm going to hunt old posts on Popper fishing.;)

Jayson

Never caught anything on a popper yet myself, but many people consistantly catch bream and jacks on them, alot more people nowdays are getting into catching whiting on poppers with huge succes. Id go 6lb leader if your chasing bream, 12lb for jacks, and 8lb for not sure :P.

Hey mate,

You might remember I did a post a while back where I got a Jack and then a bream on consecutive casts on a bubble pop. They work great. My set up for that was 8lb braid and 8lb fluro. I'v read that mono is actually better for poppers as it floats more. When I got the jack I was drifting along past some snags and just letting the lure troll along and every 2-3 seconds giving it a single big bloop. For the bream I cast deep at a snag then brout it back with small blips. When I saw the fish came up underneath it I paused for ages and it just hung there. So I walked it a tiny bit which induced the strike.

Also the earlier or later you are on the water the better and look for overhanging trees or places where critters are likely to have been washed down into the water.

After reading those old posts by KP I looked these up. They'd be worth buying cause you'd be unlucky to loose one.

/>http://www.megabass.com.au/products/Popx.html

\"Tim Morgan has caught the biggest bass at the recent Australian Bass Grand Final on a PopX\"

:huh: I've looked at the SX's, I've looked hard:laugh: , But I just cant justicfie(spelling) spending that type of money on 1 lure. Strange how I can spend $15 on a pkt of smokes every day or 2 though:blush: Oh well keeps me sane and stops me strangling the missus and kids.

That popper with the scratch's, I've read in a couple of places that them lures with the paint sanded off work realy well on whiting:huh:

Oh well I gotta go. I'm going to search high and low for some more poppers. Tackle World, Amart, Kmart, BCF and anywhere else I can think of while I'm out, HERE I COME!! Wounder if my old Greek mate will be at Kmart? :laugh: :laugh:

Chat later

Jayson

Don't forget to go see Rocket! Also if you order online motackle does Sx40s for $15 but it's $10 postage so you'd want to be buying some other stuff for it to be worthwile. I team up with someone else so you only pay $5. If you want to get some stuff off them I'd be happy to pay $5 and order a few things. Just let me know if you're keen.

hahah i petty the fool that pays for his lures :P

i just finished makin my first small poppers for targeting bream they are about 30-40mm long and look pretty good i think, have a nice blooping action and better yet only cost me about 50c per lure. some of you might be able to see them at the BRC ill be the guy in the blue and red shirt with a straw hat, youll see our team we will all be wearing teh same shirt

they are made out of driftwood, then painted with and airbrush and varnished.

equipped with owner stinger trebles.

yes u can make popper out of thongs, you can also turn any diving lure into a popper which will work and catch fish.

cut the corner out of an ice cream container and put a hole in teh middle and thread onto your line :P

works great on the lures me and my dad has tried hes caught saratoga on one of our homemade lures tunred into a popper

i cant take photos as mymum has teh camera and she is away. you will be able to see them tommorow at the BRC if you are there. i will be in a blue and red shirt with two other guy in the same shirt. im about 6 foot and skinny so if u see me come and say hi and ill give you a look

:( I'm a dead man:blink: . My wife is gunna beat me too death! All worth it:P

I could'nt find Surecatch Poppers anywhere. So this is what I ended up with.

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/popper_001_AFO.jpg

And yes Dan, That is an SX40 you see in there. I bit the bullet, now I'm gunna fish it with a 30lb leader:blink:

Jayson

post-1458-144598435019_thumb.jpg

chubbstar wrote:

:( I'm a dead man:blink: . My wife is gunna beat me too death! All worth it:P

I could'nt find Surecatch Poppers anywhere. So this is what I ended up with.

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/popper_001_AFO.jpg

And yes Dan, That is an SX40 you see in there. I bit the bullet, now I'm gunna fish it with a 30lb leader:blink:

Jayson

30LB is that it!!!!!!!

id be using 6 foot of wire for one of those :P

but seriously i have been contemplating buying one but 15-20 bucks jeesh

Sx40s are pretty good for avoiding snags because they float up. I use 8lb vanish and have only lost 1 to a massive ray.

That's a decent haul of lures there Chubs, the red headed popper with the white body should be a gun for Bass just ask Schultzy :laugh:

Good to see you'll upgrade your trebles on those cheaper lures too. You should see what that jack did to my hooks on my bubble pop, nasty.

Looks like you got the sx in 307? That's a great colour. You'll be shure to catch fish on it.

Archived