1770 land based fishing

Samj

9 hours ago, Samj said:

Hey just wondering what is the best way to fish 1770 and I was also wondering what kg rod to use for the Spanish mackerel there. Also wondering if 20kg rod would be to heavy or not.

Plenty of people fish off the rocks for Spanish there mate. There are other options too. 20kg would be ok for that. 

Good luck. Its a beautiful part of the world. 

There are also estuary options as well if you wanted some lighter stuff. Watch the Crocs. 

I use 15 to 24 kg rods with 20 to 24 kg  mono line ,like many of our mackerel haunts these days , there’s always plenty of sharks  lining up for an easy entree.I think if you go lighter gear you’ll get a little frustrated with the end results and just feed the problem.If you can hang on to 8 kg of drag after the fish has been turned  after it’s initial run and wind fast , you’ll likely to see some results. I think if you go down to 15kg line  most occasions you just won’t be able to get the fish in quick enough . 

Neil

9 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Always live IMHO. 🙂

I have seen lures out fish livies so I shouldn't be so closed minded. 

i think at least with a live bait, you know if there are fish around or not. With lures, you questions everything about them (size, colour, hooks, type, retrieve style etc) where as with live bait, the bait takes care of most of those things for you. you tend to not question your abilities as much using live bait...well i do anyway

On 15/11/2021 at 11:13 AM, christophagus said:

i think at least with a live bait, you know if there are fish around or not. With lures, you questions everything about them (size, colour, hooks, type, retrieve style etc) where as with live bait, the bait takes care of most of those things for you. you tend to not question your abilities as much using live bait...well i do anyway

I agree but... I did spend one day with a stack of large yackers under floats that were not getting touched. I only had bait rods. my mate was throwing slugs and caught 4 spotties to my 0 spotties...