Best time to catch finger mullet from Brisbane river

ubnt
Go to solution Solved by Jono4500,

Hi friends,

Recently at night I use castnet to catch my bait fish herring, prawns and etc from various boat ramp and jetty in Brisbane river. However what I am looking for is little mullet and I couldn't catch any. 

What is the best time to catch them? Day or night? Tide Running in or out? I caught quite a lot last winter but since then I had no luck. Please help!

• Solution

Hi ubnt 

I catch my share of mullet for bait in castnet, sometimes targeting sometimes as bycatch. Though I'd say I've never noticed a pattern, caught them before and after sunrise, high and low tide. A few specific conditions do stand out though, I think they usually hold high in water column, spook easy with boat traffic and head to shore, and on runout tides hang around run-off, drop off points. When struggling for bait Il walk/ cast up stream maybe every few metres ahead of me shallow, then again out deeper to cover ground. If quiet and undisturbed you can find mullet in ankle deep water foraging. Keep throwing you'll catch something! 

Hey @ubnt

Assuming that the jetties you are netting from are all relatively close to the port, mullet won’t be that common. The main thing you will get will be (banana and tiger) prawns, herring, glassies, and the odd anchovy/bony bream.

If you want mullet in the river you will need to find a relatively shallow mud bank, creek mouth, or sandy beach. A berley bomb or two won’t hurt either. I find that mullet school up more when the water is slightly cleaner, and they are more scattered when there is a lot of rain.

Assuming you are fishing for threadies or jewies, prawns and herring will work great as well.

Cheers Hamish