are hands on trade skills and common decency disappearing?

Bretto77

The regen is part of the DPF Diesel Particulate Filter. 

The catch can has nothing to do with exhaust, and everything to do with intake. 

These new diesels pump crap back through the intake, and of course, gums up the motor leading to failure at some stage. 

When fitting a catch can, you also have an intake clean done at the same time. Not just a bit of carbie cleaner down the throttle body, the full 3 stage clean. 

Trust me boys and girls, these new motors are to fancy and with fancy stuff comes fragility. 

I'm not experienced enough to go into detail, all I know is how to power a flux capacitor, and I can also install compression powder to the molecular diodes.😝 

If you want a good idea of what is happening to your engine, call Auto Service Plus at Capalaba. 3390 3233. 

Ask for Rex, or speak to my wife Ky. They will give you the details you need, or call in and see them. They don't bite. 

Or, speak to your trusted grease monkey. If they say you don't need one, find a better grease monkey.  

I've got a far superior 1HZ, so I have no problems with all that rubbish, but the newer diesels need to be cared for. 

Cheers Damo. 

4 hours ago, Junky said:

The regen is part of the DPF Diesel Particulate Filter. 

The catch can has nothing to do with exhaust, and everything to do with intake. 

These new diesels pump crap back through the intake, and of course, gums up the motor leading to failure at some stage. 

When fitting a catch can, you also have an intake clean done at the same time. Not just a bit of carbie cleaner down the throttle body, the full 3 stage clean. 

Trust me boys and girls, these new motors are to fancy and with fancy stuff comes fragility. 

I'm not experienced enough to go into detail, all I know is how to power a flux capacitor, and I can also install compression powder to the molecular diodes.😝 

If you want a good idea of what is happening to your engine, call Auto Service Plus at Capalaba. 3390 3233. 

Ask for Rex, or speak to my wife Ky. They will give you the details you need, or call in and see them. They don't bite. 

Or, speak to your trusted grease monkey. If they say you don't need one, find a better grease monkey.  

I've got a far superior 1HZ, so I have no problems with all that rubbish, but the newer diesels need to be cared for. 

Cheers Damo. 

I already have one, it seems.

I had cause to lift the bonnet to do some cleaning after some water crossings and noticed it for the first time. lol

I would be inclined to open it up to see if it needed to be drained or cleaned. As you didn't know you had one, by now it may be full of oil or the filter needs to be cleaned or replaced.

With my Provent unit, I have a paper cartridge in it which is good for about 40-50k km before replacing., but I still need to empty the collected oil regularly via a hose and tap on the bottom. Other units have a stainless mesh/screen which needs to be washed.

The cheaper units are a waste of time and money as they are just an empty box with no screens or filters in them to trap the oil mist.

9 hours ago, ellicat said:

I already have one, it seems.

I had cause to lift the bonnet to do some cleaning after some water crossings and noticed it for the first time. lol

This reminds me of that paravane thread... 🤣

Well that's good news Brian. 

Like Ed said...open it up and replace the filter. 

The units the misso fits can be washed and reused but those paper ones need replacing.

Also clean the entire housing out as well. Just use a rag and wipe all the gunk out, and be amazed at what actually gets saved from being pumped back through your motor. It's disgusting. 

I don't know how manufacturers get away with it tbh. 

13 hours ago, Ed. said:

Hey Junky, here is a link if you want to increase the performance of your H1Z 😀

https://gturbo.com.au/have-we-created-the-worlds-most-powerful-1hz/

Holly crap. That would tear the trailer out from underneath the boat. 🤣

I have A GCG intercooler job lined up for it. Misso is good friends with them. 

It's been something I wanted to do for a while, however I will only put about 10 to 12psi through it. Just so it holds up hills etc. Don't need to go fast.

I love my 80 series. 

Wouldn't trade it for anything. We've done some big trips and she just keeps on keeping on. If it had a tail it would wag like a happy dog on road trips. It doesn't get out much atm due to this other project that has been going on but soon enough we will be "on the road again". 

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/06/2023 at 10:32 PM, Bretto77 said:

The world has gone crazy IMG20230602114014.thumb.jpg.f31de4002e7917163dcf7ba28b6c7ef0.jpg

This dude turned up today to apparently collect a machine going to Melbourne.

Parks in the middle of the driveway and gets into the sleeper and goes to sleep...

Yard disfunctional....🤣🤣🤣🤣... Don't worry about anything or anybody else mate🤣🤣

my whole work life is dealing with truckwits... NOTHING would surprise me mate... 

I would imagine it would be quite a bit, but at least the Catch can, helps minimise the amount of crud (oil mist, carbon and diesel fuel) that would otherwise be recirculated back through the engine which ends up sticking the insides walls of the manifolds. Usually with turbo diesels the volume of "oil" increases, and that is due to the fuel being added to the oil in the sump so it's important to have regular services.