three way swivels - why?

MattInOz

Heya all.

Possible noob question here. While having a peek in a mate's gear I came across three way swivels. I've had a look at various youtube vids and seen some rigs using them and I can see how it would prevent tangles as compared to having two leaders off a regular swivel... but why bother? What's the difference between hanging a sinker off an individual leader and having it on the line above the swivel? Isn't it going to end up on the bottom either way?

Matt

I sometimes use them, I like running a little heat shrink ud the line onto the side swivel too, that sticks it out straight and stops the hook leader twisting around the main line.

I will use that in rocky water, that way I can run braid to the top loop, have leader coming out the side to the hook, then run lighter mono down to the sinker.

I also make sinkers out of concrete with a bit of wire for a loop, that way I can loose a sinker every cast and it's both dirt cheap and a little better for the environment and all that ****.

If the water is really clear and I'm targeting an easily spooked fish then I just use leader and tie a loop at the bottom and attach the lighter mono to that.

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/30/2023 at 8:44 PM, Bob9863 said:

I sometimes use them, I like running a little heat shrink ud the line onto the side swivel too, that sticks it out straight and stops the hook leader twisting around the main line.

I will use that in rocky water, that way I can run braid to the top loop, have leader coming out the side to the hook, then run lighter mono down to the sinker.

I also make sinkers out of concrete with a bit of wire for a loop, that way I can loose a sinker every cast and it's both dirt cheap and a little better for the environment and all that ****.

If the water is really clear and I'm targeting an easily spooked fish then I just use leader and tie a loop at the bottom and attach the lighter mono to that.

I m interested in your concrete recipe for sinkers how big are they when you’re finished and how much do they weigh