braid to mono knots in the thick of things

Hi all. I often fish the sand flats wading in the water flicking for flathead. I got busted off recently and had a bastard of a time retying a braid/mono knot in the wind. As much as the FG knot is lovely, some of these more complex ones seem impractical while juggling a backpack in water up to your nutsack (with the nearest sand a 40m slog away and the fish biting). How you do/would solve this dilemma?  

35 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Use Mono instead of braid.

You won't have a problem.

braid is defenitly a better option, highly recommending making sure your fg knots is done well so it doesnt slip burning the tags with a lighter can make it a tad bit stronger. Also longer leader will reduce the amount of times to retie leader also in my experience gets me more fish

for ease of tying and probably the fastest in light lines when wading I tie a albright....about 20 seconds and wind is never an issue......hold the tag end in your teeth and roll the leader/line between your thumbs and forefinger like rolling a durrie. Feed the tag end thru the loop and cinch up tight.

1 hour ago, Old Scaley said:

I sometimes do FG knots at home but always do Albright on the boat. Very rarely have I had a knot failure and when I do it was likely a mistake in the tiring process. If the leader is 25lb or less, I like to add a half hitch on Rivendell of the knot for extra reassurance. 

I like the idea of extra security as my leader is only 12lb. I am probably just paranoid, but I always wonder if the half hitch reduces breaking strain?

4 hours ago, Rebel said:

There is an interesting article in the November Fishing World Mag. The write up is about not using leaders at all. Interesting.

Many years ago when I got my first permit for NPD boating we trolled hard bodies for bass and yellas with braid right to the lure. If the braid was fluro we would hit the first metre or so with a black nikko pen. Braid direct to the lure does not impact there at all....probably because most are either reaction strikes or the fish are hunting and chasing down the baits.

Numbers of fish caught with braid to the lure were remarkably good...so much so the thrill of catching bass died off and I went back to fishing salt water again. Since then i have had one other session out there...last one about 20 years ago when i caught a 61cm bass....my biggest and last impoundment bass.

Braid direct to the lure also tends to slice a bit of the weed up too.

A lot of carp anglers, probably m9st use braid to the hook so the boilie works more freely, I've done it for other species when fishing like that, even used a lot of kevlar line when bait fishing for sharp tooth critters.

But for trout you definitely are better off with a leader so it might really depend on how skittish a fish you are chasing.

• 4 weeks later...

I used to use clips all the time....these days I tie a loop knot....

To be honest there isn't much difference between a loop and a clip but I couldn't be stuffed digging through another part of the tackle bag to grab a clip....

A loop knot also works well when adding a small sinker in front of a worm hook if needed.