i'm off to monduran in the morning.

buzzid

hey guys,

well home a bit sooner than expected and can happily say we got what we went there to get, barra. started the hunt by trolling the edges of the basin, result - one 96cm and one 107cm. sunday saw us heading up into the heavily timbered areas of B and C for a cast, the mrs took everything bar the kitchen sink fair dinkum, pillows, sleeping bag a picnic basket but no container with camera or mobiles in it. we managed to boat 3 out of 7 hook ups, 91, 94, 87cm. only lost 1 lure the whole trip which was good. the weather sucked every day except saturday. catch rates were down apparently due to the barometric pressure being 8 to 10 points below optimum, water temp was 26.5 ish once the sun disappeared, on saturday it was 28-29 degrees. we camped in the camping ground which was very comfortable and friendly. got a few pics, not sure how to post them yet but will work it out.

buzz [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/monduran006_AFO.jpg

post-1089-144598437237_thumb.jpg

thanks guys,

the biggest fish came from the basin by trolling a spread of 3 at various depths and colours but gold lures diving to 3 to 4 metres were the trick. up in the timber is much the same, gold shallow running lures to 120mm were getting the hits. on 1 occasion we were sneaking or should i say bumping our way thru timber when the water about 15metres ahead came alive, barra leaving the water chopping into bait, thrashing around like a boil up in moreton bay. i thru about 7 colours at them, about 6 styles and sizes, even an sx40 but couldn't get even 1 to chew on any of them. we even had a barra think it was a dolphin, motoring along at about 5 or 6 knots it was riding the bow wave just like a dolphin would, mrs thought he was to cute to dangle a predatek in front of. saw so many things without a camera or a camera ready, a lesson learned! all in all a good trip and will try to make it up there again before the end of summer.

buzz

hey stu,

wasn't crowed at all, might be different around the 6th tho. at many times we could see no other boats in the basin. we fished in the rain unlike everyone else, we got our 2 biggest in the rain. i briefly tried plastics in the 20+m areas of the basin when the trolling went quiet but only scored about a dozen catties in 20 minutes or so. i varied the trolling speed from dead slow to about 3.5 knots. most guys are using the snail pace method which i feel is a little slow as we only got hook ups between 2.5 and 3.5 knots. we were overtaking and lapping people hehehe. but i'd say mix it up a bit, with rod in hand while trolling you can change lure action anyway. i'm thinking to return there on that weekend myself, the whinger,oops i mean mrs, is going to sydney on the 5th so will see if i can borrow the deckie for a few days.

buzz

Archived