Logan for Larfs

CrayfishMates

Hit the logan river in the morning 29/12

Saw a few boats out but no way to tell if any were one of you blokes. A AFO Flag would he good....

The day started out with helpin another fisho get his boat in the water. Then we were launching and he finds out he has a flat battery, so handed over our spare to get going with.

Good deed for the day I suppose.

Headed out to the mouth for the turn of the tide and then worked our way back up to the M1 bridge. Plenty of wind, as you know in the SE stretches of the river so finding deep holes on the SE side of NE running branches of the river. We were bait fishing and managed only 3 legal bream and a bunch of other entertaining stuff. Not good for a feed but one hell of a day out. Even boating and fisheries thought so too...

Anyway on with the pics.

Five Flat Tyres in a row, these the biggest.

14776c55f2ad45.jpg

14776c55f38039.jpg

One Tow Rope

14776c55f42fff.jpg

One Little Mulloway

14776c55f4a916.jpg

Four million Rat Eaters, this being the largest.

14776c55f52de8.jpg

And best catch, anchor, chain and rope.

14776c55f5d1f1.jpg

hey cray!

nice flat tyres there mate!:P

i remember last time i got a ray of that sise on 10lb line at the powerlines!

it headed straight for the logen river mouth and stopped on the mud bank befor the mouth for 20min and rested then was off again for another 20 min play!

took me 45min to bring it in and i still wasnt game enugh to touch it!:blush:

well done mate thanks for the report!;)

Ian

Hey Crayman, that's not a little jew - it's a Logan River Perch. They used to be as common as bream and whiting, then the trawlers moved in and wipped out most of the stock. Others might call em a River Perch but I say Logan River Perch.

Next time may I suggest the Albert turnoff for Jacks, Jew and sharks.

boon wrote:

Wow u guys are really daring to hold up those rays so close to ya before cutting off their tails. I'm sure they put up a nice fight as always :)

Ahh I dont cut the tails mate. The trick is the land them and snap the barb off before handling. So if you catch a flat tyre with the barb snapped off half way, it was probably me lol.

rumrunner wrote:

hey cray!

nice flat tyres there mate!:P

i remember last time i got a ray of that sise on 10lb line at the powerlines!

it headed straight for the logen river mouth and stopped on the mud bank befor the mouth for 20min and rested then was off again for another 20 min play!

took me 45min to bring it in and i still wasnt game enugh to touch it!:blush:

well done mate thanks for the report!;)

Ian

The one I have was a larf and har half. He smacked the new xmas set up and went for a swim. Love the titititititititititititititi sound so I let him run for a bit to make things interesting.

Tightened him up and starting lifting him back. Really did not want to turn around.

Mean while the old man is hangin over my shoulder, so I got him to strap the gimble belt on me so my guts did not cop a floggin.

Then I say - \"have you brought in your fucking lines yet?\" he says nah she will be right mate.

Sure enough one of his lines goes off and he starts work. He lifted and mine got lighter, I guess we know what he had lol my flat tyre. So he is pullin up with his and I with mine.

Then ping his snaps. We can see color now and I did not want to gaf the big fella so the old man grabs the landing net lol (it was twice as wide as the net)

Anyways lift him up and we cant get him in the net and tititititititititititititi off he goes again.

Then the old mans other rod goes zizizizizizi (he doesnt have tititit lol).

Bugger me, he has my tyre on his other line.

So the lifting and reeling continues on both lines and CRACK, my line snaps off.

Now the old man has him in all the tangled line and he is lifting like a lunatic! Steady on old fella, I say, you dont have a hook in him.

Next it comes to the surface totally stuffed and upside down and we snig it in and net it.

Retreaved all the busted off tackle, took the photo and let him go.

All up a good 15min run on. Loved it on the new set up.

Brian D wrote:

Hey Crayman, that's not a little jew - it's a Logan River Perch. They used to be as common as bream and whiting, then the trawlers moved in and wipped out most of the stock. Others might call em a River Perch but I say Logan River Perch.

Next time may I suggest the Albert turnoff for Jacks, Jew and sharks.

I checked it out in the fishermans companion and came up with that. Oh well may have missed it. The tail shape was not the same as a jew.

The fisheries guys that pulled us up said there were quite a few sharks about. Thanks for the tip mate.

Etided to correct myself - Brian you are right it is a Little Jewfish also known as River Perch (Johnius amblycephalus)

Archived