Toying with ideas.

Angus

Hey everyone.

Toying with the idea of a new social comp for the site.

We have a lot of freshwater events which is sweet. But maybe we could incorporate more for the salties?

How about a Moreton Bay, or a section of Moreton bay comp?

If this was to happen it prob would not be until next year.

But what would people think?

Also what season? Location? HQ? All species or target?

Basically chasing some feedback on how people could see this working...

Cheers.

Angus

Actually realistically, for a moreton bay comp it would really be for boaters. There are other competitions for land based people. But land based options in Moreton bay exist but are extremely limited.

Cant please everyone all the time!. But thats why with the events that are coming up we have tried to create quite a variety.

username_taken wrote:

I'd be keen for a salt-water comp that I can fish in the 'yak, especially if there's other yak's around for company, haven't ventured out into the deep blue yet...

Sounds like there's a fair bit of good fishing off manly/viccy point/etc for kayaks.

Wello point is pretty sweet as well.

And off Bribie has reported well.

Angus

mud'island'bulls and beers

sandgate jetty toadfish cull

pineing for a bigger river

jumpin pin hop skip and a jump

moreton'island' wish you were here comp

stradbroke classic oops someone else did this

yatla and logan pie run

sharkin of the point at luggage

heres my limmited thoughts :laugh:

jason

sounds to me like you will end up with a full book of comps mate...

the more the better...we enjoyed the last brc so we will fish any that suit us in the future....

good luck with it..... i cant suggest a comp as i dont know the area to well....but will try and support any we can...

Maxi

i like the moreton island idea, that area is very productive for all types of fishing from yaks to boats. also us boaties taking on board non boaties is a very good suggestion, done this before works out very well and makes the event even more social. a winter comp would be the most ideal time as weather is good.(most of the time:silly: ) anyway what ever happens cant wait:woohoo:

jeff f wrote:

seaway would be good. you can fish it land based or from a boat

southern bay would be good in winter too

sugestion; make it members only then everyone with a boat takes a crew of non boaters sharing costs, ideas and skills

Yeah Jeff I like the idea of boaters teaming up with deckies. Gives a lot people the opportunity to fish places they otherwise would not.

Angus

Ok well i have heard of a comp my dad once entered many many years ago when he was a boy, with his private fishing club held(no longer exsist) Was named the moreton island classic, Was open to boats, and landbased fisho's and well he fished with his mate in it from a surf ski borrowed from his surflifesaving club. A group of 15-20 of them got on the sat morn barge to Bulwer, Than its every man for themselves for basically 24hrs meeting time and weigh in was back at a tent at Bulwer the next day 2hrs before the sunday Barge returned, ppl would walk off and fish all through the night into the next morn, Some even managed to get to the surf side for some tailor and big dart, some headed south on the western side chasing sharks and big lizards, some met the barge in their boats and went offshore, some boats fished mud and peel and bay macks, Some walked to the northpoint rocks for a night session followed by a flick for whiting at yellopatch and some tailor at tailorbite on the way home, Sounds extremely fun and very dirverse, Catering for all types of fishing, And he said some of the fish landed were amazing, The variety especially incorperating offshore was great.

Those were the days of big fishing clubs. I used to go to moreton with watersiders. Leave game fishing wharf at hamilton at 11 am loaded up with a sugar bag of draught bulimba beer. ( Pub used to refill your tallies and they were sealed with corks tied up with string. You had to hand them on Thursdays for Saturday pick up)I think price was around 20 shillings for a dozen.

Took 4 to 6 hours to get to comby depending on weather and which boat we were on.Usually an old fishing trawler or the Stella Maris ( Bugger of a boat would roll on a heavy dew)with 40 passengers on board. Pretty crowded. Sometimes a bit of luxury on the Norman R. ( Beautiful boat built by Norman Wright at Bulimba.)

We would be dropped at Comby via ships dingy and used to walk everywhere and fish overnight.

If the wind got up overnight we had to walk to Cowan or Tangalooma or if it was a severe westerly we used to camp in Hospitals Fishing clubs shack and wait for wind to subside.

The lighthouse keeper at Cowan was very friendly and his wife always fed us with a hot meal if we were stranded.I cant remember their name but know that they stayed on when the lighthouse closed.

I an talking about the mid to late 50's

Probably bored you sh!tless with my reminising but you are stuck with it anyhow.

Cheers

Ray

I think any comp held on morton island would be a little hexy wouldnt it? Barge cost for people and even more for those taking a boat over.

If it covered the bay, but had the HQ and weigh ib at say, wello point, it wouldnt cost us an arm and a leg for the weekend.

Archived