Ningi Creek 16th September 2006

Angus

James, Troy, Alby and myself hit up Ningi Creek last Saturday with some good results.

James and I launched the yaks at about 6:00am meeting up with Alby and Troy closer to the mouth. The fishing on the way down was good. I managed to score a legal flatty, legal bream and a pike all on an eco gear sx40. However the fishing on the way back up the creek proved even better!!!

On the way back up i personally managed several more flatties, one of whcih was legal, and a whiting (all on the same eco gear). James scored a 50cm Flatty and another little flatty (On a gold Laser Pro). Troy managed to get several smaller flatties (also on a gold laser pro) and was about to be picked up by his mum. About 5 mins before he was at the final destination WHAM the SP that he trolling behind (A black Squidgy with a fluro green tail) got smacked hard. After a decent fight a fantastic 76cm Flatty was boated (and of course released unharmed). Good bloody work.

I would also like to point out that the two largest fish of day were caught in the creek where it is about 5m wide max. Point being, dont be afraid to fish seemingly small bodies of water. They still hold fish!

Ningi creek you have done it again.

Angus

This pic is to show to best preforming lure of the day. The humble Laser Pro. Made by Halco [img size=400]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Laser.jpg

Post edited by: Angus, at: 2006/09/18 07:49

post-63-144598400935_thumb.jpg

Excellent catch Troy! You guys did extremely well.

I missed a strike on my popper and got 40cm flatty to the side of the kayak...that was it. I was sort of on a time limit. It's such a beaut spot. I hadn't ventured upstream from the ramp before.That creek has such great structure. Imagine it 30 years ago!

Watch those oyster covered rocks on your next trip. I reckon they'd be deadly at times. I've got a big gouge out of the gell coat on mine from bring dropped on one by a boat wake at the mouth.

Ningi is definitely worth another look. Would love to flick a popper over the top of those rocks at high tide.

Alby

30 years ago! I wasn't even a thought back then. The upper reaches in breeding season would have been teaming with big Females like that 76cm one! They're breeding now that's why everybodies catching them. Great fun too. Alby come with us next time and make sure you've got all the time in the world (or day).

Troy

Troy... I was going to say 50 years ago, but knew you youngsters couldn't even compehend a number that big as far as years go.

Hell, I remember when Sandgate flats and Cabbage Tree creek used to be just teaming with fish.....Huge schools of mullet, lots of bream, flatties, and whiting. The water was unpolluted, and the sand was white! A bit sad to see the changes over the years.:(

Archived