Lines in Freshwater

Hocko

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question:

I have been fishing for Talipia in the local ponds recently, and have been getting heaps of hits, but can't seem to land them. I am using a light, braided line. Should I try nylon? Does the line really even matter?

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated, because I can't keep letting these buggers, and Brian win!

Cheers,

Dan

Mate are you using a leader?

If you are using braid you should use a nylon leader so the fish cant see the line.

Also fishing for tilapia let there be a bit of slack or an open spool. This way the fish will pick up the bait and commit to eating it without being put off by the feel of any tension. I use two blood knots to join my braid to my mono line.

Also in those ponds you fish. I would use the lightest line possible. I think it would help catch the fish. Not to mention make it a lot more fun!

Angus

Hey guys. Remember that the biggest advantage of braided (or fused) lines is that they offer zero, or very low stretch. For lure fishing this is perfect; the slightest take or nudge can be felt and struck at ASAP. This sensitivity also works the other way. So when bait fishing a fish mouthing a bait can feel the resistance more so with superlines than with a nylon line (also the visibility issues as mentioned previously). For this reason I do all my bait fishing with nylon lines.:silly:

On the otherhand I'm sure there are plenty of examples where ppl would favour nylon for lures and superline for bait!:whistle:

Cheers, and give those vermin hell:evil:

Archived