Albert River by Yak

Brian D

Hi there fellow fishos, here's a little report about a fishing trip or more accurately written a Yakking Trip from Stanmore Road Weir at Wolffdene to Eaglby.

I arrived at the ramp just before sun up to find the river still in minor flood mode. By this I mean: in coming tide but so much fresh water coming down from the mountains the water was running out against the tide. Not to worry I thought as I was heading for the mouth anyway.

Unloading the Yak I was chatting to a local from Beaudesert who cast netting for bait. He intended fishing for Mary Cod back up stream, catching to a meter he says, up near the Stormy Ranges. I suspect he was using under size bass as livies because he was throwing the mullet back.

The other interesting thing he mentioned was that Glassy’s Barra Farm overflowed in the recent flood and plenty of Barra escaped into the river. The rouge fish could be anywhere between the farm and Moreton Bay but he seams to think that you’ll find em on the dirty water line where the salt meets the fresh in the Albert.

I bet that pricks a few ears up!

Anyway – how did the fishing go for me – 2 catfish on SX40 507 colour, nothing else.

The water was way dirty and not really fishable.

How did the yakking go – for those who want a workout it’s a great 6 hour paddle with many fishable spots under the right conditions. Lots of things like eagles, roos, cows and serenity. The only person I spoke to after leaving the ramp was when I phoned wifie asking her to pick me up at the ramp so I could get a lift back home and back to the other car 6 hours up stream by yak or 20 mins by car.

Here's a shot of the launching spot. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/P1110004_AFO.jpg

post-118-144598444489_thumb.jpg

Dissapointing Brian. I was going to head down there Wednesday as I have the day off work, but I guess I'll try somewhere else. Don't think it would clear up much in three days.

Sounds like it would have been a nice trip though and would be keen to do it once this rain stops.

pcsolutionman wrote:

good to see you getting a good long paddle in brian, how are the shoulders today?

Lee

Shoulders are just fine thanks for asking. It must be all the years of surfing, bum got a bit sore. I did the paddle for that reason - to get some long paddles trips under my belt.

Also I was testing the trip to see if it would be any good for Steve from Hinze.

Aaron H wrote:

Stormy ranges? where would these be located skip

I could have the name wrong Aaron but he was referring to the bottom of the hills behind beaudesert. I have been there and abouts (Lamo Nat park) but I wasn't looking for fishing holes.

He said "where the stocking group release" - he was referring to the old carp busters. I was kinda hoping you could ferret out the water.

We could take the cannon ball and the yaks and go for a bank launch?

Sorry Aaron

I just can't get away from my desk, I so much want too but it'll only make next week harder. But if you go ahead and find the Cod Spot I might be able to get a day next week.

Angus, Not so much a camp, I was just sussing out some spots for Steve to add to his agenda. Man I am lucky living where I do, some people would get a real treat out of doing a paddle like that and I can do it just about any morning I feel like putting in the effort.

My next trip is either from Chardon Bridge Rd (either direction) or from Albert Street to Rocky point. One start point is fresh to fresher and the other start point is fresh to salt. Both should be fun.

Archived