japanese rods

AngGoLee

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well i cant disagree anymore kev :P haha

materials cant be that different,

Rod blank, at the moment not including biofibre, high modulous graphite is the bst you can get im10.

Grips, AAAA grade cork, or polyurethene cored grips that are either flocked or skinned.

Guides, at the moment titanium frame silicon carbide ring (Fuji TiSic) or nanolite ring (Ameriacn tackle Titan) plus many more which are all readily available to the consumer.

Guide placement, as far as that is concerned you are 100 percent WRONG, you cannot have perfect guide placement unless you get a rod built to suit your reel, the new guide concept by ameriacn rodbuilder Tom Kirkman revolves entirely around the reel and how you set up a particular rod to best suit that reel.

Handle assembly, i have seen megabass handles and styles like that have been used for years and years by custom guys, Rich Forhan was the first to use the split grip design on rods and many manufacturers have now started to manufacture rods with them becasue of their benefits. as far as all the balance systems in the rod they are in the most part gimmicks if you have a rod custom made by a good builder the rod will be balanced to teh reel you intedn to use with that rod.

i can garauntee you kevin that most custom guys that know what they are on about could build a better rod than any megabass rod if they had teh materials (which would cost way less than what youd pay for a megabass rod)

Kev, well we will see what you think of my next few builds in about 4 months :P, i might be young but i have learnt from some of the best builders in QLD and i have frequent conversations to some of the most renowned in teh business.

as far as your comment about resonance, mate in all seriousness there is not much more you can do about attaching a grip haha cork to blank or cork to arbor to blank.

and there are plenty of good aussie builders Ian Miller for one

fishyman wrote:

Rich Forhan was the first to use the split grip design on rods and many manufacturers have now started to manufacture rods with them becasue of their benefits. as far as all the balance systems in the rod they are in the most part gimmicks if you have a rod custom made by a good builder the rod will be balanced to teh reel you intedn to use with that rod.

i can garauntee you kevin that most custom guys that know what they are on about could build a better rod than any megabass rod if they had teh materials (which would cost way less than what youd pay for a megabass rod)

split grips are a far from new idea they were used on split cane rods a couple of hundred years ago

fishyman wrote:

Rod blank, at the moment not including biofibre, high modulous graphite is the bst you can get im10.

Grips, AAAA grade cork, or polyurethene cored grips that are either flocked or skinned.

Guides, at the moment titanium frame silicon carbide ring (Fuji TiSic) or nanolite ring (Ameriacn tackle Titan) plus many more which are all readily available to the consumer.

Guide placement, as far as that is concerned you are 100 percent WRONG, you cannot have perfect guide placement unless you get a rod built to suit your reel, the new guide concept by ameriacn rodbuilder Tom Kirkman revolves entirely around the reel and how you set up a particular rod to best suit that reel.

Handle assembly, i have seen megabass handles and styles like that have been used for years and years by custom guys, Rich Forhan was the first to use the split grip design on rods and many manufacturers have now started to manufacture rods with them becasue of their benefits. as far as all the balance systems in the rod they are in the most part gimmicks if you have a rod custom made by a good builder the rod will be balanced to teh reel you intedn to use with that rod.

no offense mate, but we've moved on from IM10 graphite. we use boron, solid carbon, tri-scrim graphite blends and titanium reinforcements now.

one question tho- how familiar are you with megabass? when i brought MB into aus last year, hardly anyone knew what it was about. and FYI, probably the first 2 MB rods in bris were from my shop, bought by a fellow AFO-er.

i am aware of the solid carbon and titanium tipped rod blanks and infact i have talked to a builder that got given a few to experiment with at the recent rod builders show in the states.

but most people without contacts cannot access such materials yet, give us a year or so and biofibre and graphite blends as well as elastisized graphite materils, titanium tipped, (which metalurgists are still workign on improving) will be available and that will greatly increase the diversity that can be produced.

jeff f, thank for that mate i didnt know that, but i do know that Rich was the first to start building modern day split grips and sellign them to his customers.

fishyman wrote:

MB handles for sale on the consumer market? wow. interesting, considering they're made by Fuji exclusively for MB, and considering the fact that Mr.Yuki Ito didnt offer them to my boss for our own house brand the last time they met up last year lol.

better rod than MB with the materials? Hmm..I think you need to go find out abit more about MB rods and why we have 1-2 year waiting lists for certain rod models. btw, considering the fact that you'd be only building one rod at a time, or small batches, the blanks would probably cost you AUD400-600 each.

kiara_poltegerist wrote:

fishyman wrote:

MB handles for sale on the consumer market? wow. interesting, considering they're made by Fuji exclusively for MB, and considering the fact that Mr.Yuki Ito didnt offer them to my boss for our own house brand the last time they met up last year lol.

better rod than MB with the materials? Hmm..I think you need to go find out abit more about MB rods and why we have 1-2 year waiting lists for certain rod models. btw, considering the fact that you'd be only building one rod at a time, or small batches, the blanks would probably cost you AUD400-600 each.

that's why my next rod's gotta be a megabass:P

fishyman wrote:

im not talking specifics mate.

this is what i have learnt from guys over in the states im no expert by any means of teh imagination.

ill remove my posts if its gonna cause issues.

and NOTE i said IF THEY HAD THE MATERIALS i didnt say they did.

and STYLES LIKE THAT.

ah, my bad mate. sorry for sounding aggro and stuff, got distracted by some silly work issues here, and i let it affect my postings. sincere apologies.

kiara_poltegerist wrote:

fishyman wrote:
im not talking specifics mate.

this is what i have learnt from guys over in the states im no expert by any means of teh imagination.

ill remove my posts if its gonna cause issues.

and NOTE i said IF THEY HAD THE MATERIALS i didnt say they did.

and STYLES LIKE THAT.

ah, my bad mate. sorry for sounding aggro and stuff, got distracted by some silly work issues here, and i let it affect my postings. sincere apologies.

yeah same here mate, my bad sorry mate

im just throwing this out there, but one factor megabass dont employ is the spiral wrap technique for the guides, this style of rod can be loaded up alot more safely then standard rods and when a big fish is hooked the blank doesnt try to roll over, its also lighter in weight due to less guides and casting distance isnt affected

Archived