Upper Brisbane River 20/03/08 - Report

Angus

pcsolutionman wrote:

yeah I agree Angus too long since the dam went over, id say there is a good breeding population i there

Lee

Cant breed in there mate. The Mount Crosby Weir stops them getting to the brackish/salt water.

Apparantly there has been a lot of stocking that has continued over the last few years.

Angus

Was an excellent morning! I caught 3 bass all up, my first was on a bream lure, a Daiwa SC Shiner. The other two were on a black/grey G-Vibe. The third was the money fish, I saw a bass hit the surface for some bugs, and I chucked my G-vibe right on his head, barely hit the water and ZZZZZZZZZ it was on. Much better fight, and measured him up at 33cm, biggest for the day.

All up an awesome morning, good company and brilliant location. Thanks for showing us the ropes Bommie, I imagine I'll start haunting that area a bit as it's pretty close.

I didn't get any photos of fish, but here's some scenery shots

DSC03508.JPG

DSC03509.JPG

DSC03510.JPG

pinkey wrote:

Nice. For school camp, I canooed down those stretches :D. From the dam wall down to the first bridge, saw a dead flatty there o.O. Near the damn wall, where your not alowd to fish, some guy was fishing landbased and got a nice bass. Sooooo much sunken timber great to see it holds some nice bass. :D, so none of those fish would be wild anymore? all come from wivenhoe?

We went down there as well on camp (Y9). Also got to go up to the spill-way for a bit of fun:)

Well done guys:)

Angus wrote:

pcsolutionman wrote:
yeah I agree Angus too long since the dam went over, id say there is a good breeding population i there

Lee

Cant breed in there mate. The Mount Crosby Weir stops them getting to the brackish/salt water.

Apparantly there has been a lot of stocking that has continued over the last few years.

Angus

What about in times of flood?? doesnt it go over the weir?? or not?

Lee

Bommie wrote:

that was a excellent sight cast to that fish Paul:)

Yeah i reckon Paul got the fish of the day alright. As I commented to him at the time "That was textbook". I know we all usually mean to put theory into practice whenever fishing, but how nice is it when it pays off :P

Angus

pcsolutionman wrote:

Angus wrote:
pcsolutionman wrote:

Lee

Angus

What about in times of flood?? doesnt it go over the weir?? or not?

Lee

Lee: Yeah in floods im sure it would. But if you check out the stretch of river below the weir at the moment, its been a LOOOONNNGGGG time since that happened (1999 i think).

My point being, I still think there would be no chance its a wild spawed bass that has made it back up the weir.

Angus

Lee: Yeah mate below the weir for sure.

In fact it wasnt that long ago Lozzell caught a bass at Kooka while bream fishing.

Back when i was younger and fished colleges crossing heaps we caught bream and bass together all the time (on bait). Back then I didnt realise how cool that was!!

Schultzy among others has told me that the reach of river (and its a hot looking reach for yaks if your keen :P ) between Colleges and Kooka is real nice bass country with a liberal splattering of Tarpon and Bream. There are also Big Eye trevs (yes i have eyewitnessed this), Giant Herring, Flatties and the regular vermin. Pretty cool cross section of the world!!!

Angus

P.S. Lee you getting the itch to try it out on the yaks with me? :P

werewolf wrote:

awesome stuff! Were they mainly caught on spinners?

Yes mostly spinnerbaits. Most of my hits came from spinnerbaits as well, Sadly i sacrificed my only 2 suitable spinnerbaits to the lure god :( Oh well AFO shop here i come :P

Paul however did get one on a G-Vibe and one on a small bibbed lure (sorry forgot which one). I also dropped one on a Yo Zuri Hardcore in shrimp pattern courtesy of Kiara.

Angus

Lee: Mate for what we have done in the past easily managable.

I would suggest a dawn run though. Try and keep the window open for some surface action with tarpon or trevs or even a herring.

But it would be a fun trip as far as mixing up techniques, plastics for flatties, spinner baits for bass etc etc.

Ill have to bring my big tackle bag :P

Im making a new thread.

Angus

Angus wrote:

Bommie wrote:
that was a excellent sight cast to that fish Paul:)

Yeah i reckon Paul got the fish of the day alright. As I commented to him at the time "That was textbook". I know we all usually mean to put theory into practice whenever fishing, but how nice is it when it pays off :P

Angus

I agree catch of the day to U_T;)

kriso wrote:

ellicat wrote:
Looks like a great place to be. Certainly whets the appetite.

Looking forward to hearing/seeing kriso's side of things too.

Just for Brian,

I HAVE CAUGHT THE DISEASE! lost about 50m of braid in birdnests in my baitcaster, chucked lures untill i was just about to throw my arm off. diceded to troll and missed a hit, then while walking my yak up the shallows it got deep real quick and ended up to my shoulders in water:laugh: but the paddle was great fun and i think my lure choice had a big thing to do with my nil count.

cheers matt for showing us your awesome spot.

Sounds like you'll have to go for a fish with Kev again Kriso and get some pointers on using baitcasters. After learning a few things off him I improved my casting out of site.

I got a few hits but no fish. I missed a fish in a big deep hole, saw him on the sounder went past, by the time my lure got to where it was you could see the rod go bump bump bump on the ground, then bumping stopped in the hole, then bam, then nothing:(

Bommie: Sorry mate, camera is packed away I hope you dont mind the photos when I get back?:S Borumba Dam: here I come! (time to pack some extra gear and then head up)

Archived