SP first tryout

flatty_catcher

well im on holiday inland but on the way i stopped at yamba to have a few nights by the sea and a bit of an early morning fish.

I was fishing the outgoing tide off the wall and was casting bait into the beach, when i decided to try the SP',s

I made a hopless first cast and it went down too close to the rocks so I retreived it quickly and suprisingly enough I snagged a flattie..unbeleivable, he was just onsize and spat the hook on the rocks and I lost him, but I couldn't beleive it.

Didn't catch much because I arrived late but seen a guy lose a good size flattie off the rocks,( like myself he forgot to bring his landing net), but was a great morning out.

Next day I tried the 100mm squidgies at whiting beach because I wanted somthing that would lure a flattie like the ones i had been seeing pulled out of the bay.

Didnt get any but to my suprise a 25cm whiting whacked the SP and took quite a large hook as the 100mm squidgie are, I was suprised (ravenous little bugger).

sorry no pics my GF left the camera at home , which was a shame.

..also I caught a 40cm rainbow trout on a N03 red on silver celta, casting into the McDonald River just past Woolbrook.

It was the only one and I had a few hits the next day but nothing like the first one.

hope to have some pics next time. thanks

thanks mate

I have a lot of luck at casting into the end of a beach on the outgoing tide for flattie, Im guessing the big flatties sit there and

ambush the bait fish leaving the beach in the outgoing tide channel,

I dont even use a beach rod and still do ok.

But didnt do so well this time but I cant wait to give the SP's a run around Morton Bay.

Regards

yep the fly fishing is the go in some of the rivers round where I go.

probably big Browns too,depends on the river , Im looking forward to a bit of fly fishing myself in the future..great stuff, heh but im still a lure/spinner bloke at the moment so I guess I have a bit to go.

ill just add they have been geting some good rains round those parts, lets just hoope they get some more, it seems the rivers need a good hit of fresh to get the good trout out of their hiding spots.

Archived