Stanley River - Easter Monday - part one

Schultzy

I've been waiting all afternoon for Ash, Lee or Terry to post a report on the AFO yak trip to the Stanley River this morning, waiting, waiting, waiting.:P

Still nothing so I'll start.

Five of us turned up at the launching spot for an early, first light start (or would have been early if Lee would refrain from playing chicken with kangaroos).

The crew was Lee, Ash, Terry, Tony and myself.

Weather was good though slightly overcast and we started fishing from where we launched. I fluked a reasonable bass on a 1/8oz AusSpin Ultra-Spin only a hundred metres or so up the river. The rest of the team got a few good hits as we worked along some ery promising water. Lee donated another blade from one of his spinners to a fish.

Mid morning Tony and I turned around to fish our way back and left the other three to head further up river. On the way back Tony lost a very solid fish just under his kayak after playing it for about five minutes. I fluked a golden on the same lure the bass ate earlier.

We saw squillions of waterfowl and other beasties like a wedgetail, water dragons and some monster lungies.

I'll let the other guys fill you in on their catches.

Meanwhile here are some piccies. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Stanley_Morning.jpg

post-108-14459844935_thumb.jpg

Anyway quick write up before some more photos.

Once Neil and Tony left we headed further up stream (5km or so in total) and I managed to troll up a couple of spanglies, the biggest going about 25cm

Once we had a flick a dozen or so nice looking snags we got to some nice water holes and had a flick or two around there. Then Lee start seeing things, something about a 40-45cm cod........ then it grew to 70cm or so (after he apparently got a better look) so we flicked a million lures int his small hole... It's frustrating how a fish can escape you in such a small almost cut off area.

Anyway, nothing on the troll back

Then Lee and I head over to his little private dam in search of some Tarpon. I was thikning, those mini buzz bait would be gun for them..

Anyway, after leaping over and sidestepping a dozen or so deadly snakes through a several hundred metre long gauntlet of grass that will tear you open, we arrived at the small lake and dived in to play with the leeches. We had a flick around the weed beds but didn't get much action so headed around and aimed more in the open area. I flicked my buzz bait out in the open and retrieved it as usual. Then when it reached just in front of where lee and I were standing, no more than a metre and a half in front of us this big fish takes a swipe at my buzz bait, hits it but no hook up.

I quickly flick it out a short way and do the same thing, same thing!!!

Grrrrrr "Strike King" is right, you get a million strikes ... but no hook ups :angry: :angry: Next up on my fishing list: STINGER HOOKS

This weekend saw about 20 or more missed fish to not having a stinger hook on these buzz baits, including nice high 40s bass at borumba and a saratoga or two.

Finally after a while he decides the buzz bait isn't his thing, nor is lees popper and we start to throw some small bream lures for him, nope doesn't like that either

After a while lee puts on his little minnow plastic on a near unweighted jighead. There was a few love taps or follows but that was it. After a while I decide to throw on a motor oil coloured eyeball - one of those eco products in the AFO shop - nice looking plastic by the way, on the near unweighted plastic and decide to have a go

First... maybe Second cast, I bring it past the weeds and... yep! hook up! finally you sucker! bzzzzt it runs me all through the weed, yep loving that weed...

after a few pulls up and more runs in weed the lip grippers were finally secured by Lee in the basses mouth, a quick measure sees it go 52.5 to the tail. Top stuff - bit of an upgrade from my previous PB of 44 (which lasted about 48 hours!)

After that a few tarpon hit the surface and lee got to have some fun but didn't manage to get any hook ups, we then brushed off the leeches (I missed one and found it when I walked into the servo to grab some dinner) and headed home.

Yeah, was surprised I caught fish with Lee there:P I joked that he was some kind of mojo black hole or something.. sucks everyones mojo

Neil, shame we missed that nice yella, I had a feeling you'd probably hook up to something like that on the way back.

Edit: half of the battle is confidence and using the right lures etc, which I seem to have going ok atm..

Terry, That golden was a nice fish, did all the right stuff, went behnid a stump, into the grass and still stayed on the hook.

Would liked to have seen Tony's fish landed though. It was treating him and his gear with no respect at all. BIG whatever it was.

Archived