digestive track with teeth

Bommie

Yeap. African Tiger Fish.

I fished for them when i worked over there. But never say one anywhere near that big.

I think Rob Searing (a former man of Rhodesia) mentioned this exact picture to me and said they were a larger strain than the common Tiger Fish. I have forgotten the exact details but maybe he will enlighten us :)

Angus

Angus,

The common Zambesi tiger fish is Hydrocynus vittatus.

The big fellow in the picture is the giant tiger fish Hydrocynus goliath which grow to 1.4m in length.

There are another dozen less common species throughout Africa like the elongate tiger fish but the two above are the most sought after by anglers.

those bigs guys are as mentioned earlier the goliath tiger fish. they come from the congo river, along with the ebola virus. Not too many fishing tours happen at the monent coz of the various civil wars that africa loves to have so frequently. the locals eat them as they dry the fish first.

they are very bony fish and are better pickled. Some people have said that they are as bony as carp. as a sporting fish they are awesome, they fight very hard and very fast. once caught theu die pretty fast, i think it has something to do with acid build up from the fight.

Archived