Stanley River Trifecta - what a Morning

pcsolutionman

jimmybob wrote:

TerryH wrote:

If there's any two guys I reckon deserve a cod, it would be Jimmy and STU. You guys have pulled cracker fish out so many times.

dont patronise me terry:P

Jst saying mate you more than deserve one...

A bit like Feral and his awoonga Barra!!

Regarding Tuna: WHEN THIS WIND DIES DOWN :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

At this rate I'm beginning to seriously thinking about heading out in 20+ knot winds to try and bag me a tuna.

Angus: funny you mention that mate. Lee mentinoed how resilient these natives are. I know I tried to keep them in good a conditino as possible, but they were hardly in the water at all and then one powerful kick and they were off in a flash. You'd think I never pulled them out of the water or even had a fight with them.

Lol, what do you do when you reach a small piece of timber covering the river that you can't fully slide under and can't paddle over?

Lee demonstrates: [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/8_04_2008___Stanley_River___Lee_navigating_a_very_low_timber_crossing_AFO.jpg

To get under/over this one I had to take the triples off, throw my paddle and rod into the grass on the left, and do a combination of lifting the log up, and pushing my yak down into the water. That was a tight one ;)

fishyman wrote:

Man awesome trip guys, well done to both of you and well done terry on the nice cod :woohoo:

im still yet to catch anything on a spinnerbait.

awesome report fellas

Tom, I hadn't caught anything (except a catfish on the drop at monduran... does that really count??) on a spinnerbait. They're great up there, it's virtually all you can use. You might be able to use a soft plastic, but if you use hardbodies, make sure you take your lure retriever. For every snag you could see in the water I reckon there would be just as many hidden in the water. This was backed up by the fact that when we were trolling on the way back you'd constantly be bumping into snags hidden in the water.

That place has soooo many snags in there it's not funny. Great fishing spot. I'm sure all the upper reaches of Stanley would be like that too.

If anyone goes, dont be concerned that you run into a very small ankle deep section. We went up Neurem creek one time, came across sections that were ankle deep but kept pushign on to deeper holes. Then in one Lee saw a 70cm cod... So certainly deeper holes further up will hold fish :)

TerryH wrote:

fishyman wrote:
Man awesome trip guys, well done to both of you and well done terry on the nice cod :woohoo:

im still yet to catch anything on a spinnerbait.

awesome report fellas

Tom, I hadn't caught anything (except a catfish on the drop at monduran... does that really count??) on a spinnerbait. They're great up there, it's virtually all you can use. You might be able to use a soft plastic, but if you use hardbodies, make sure you take your lure retriever. For every snag you could see in the water I reckon there would be just as many hidden in the water. This was backed up by the fact that when we were trolling on the way back you'd constantly be bumping into snags hidden in the water.

That place has soooo many snags in there it's not funny. Great fishing spot. I'm sure all the upper reaches of Stanley would be like that too.

If anyone goes, dont be concerned that you run into a very small ankle deep section. We went up Neurem creek one time, came across sections that were ankle deep but kept pushign on to deeper holes. Then in one Lee saw a 70cm cod... So certainly deeper holes further up will hold fish :)

yep whats ankle deep can turn to neck deep in like 3 steps!

Congrats Terry.

Superb looking piece of water, a healthy population of fish and a beautiful cod. Add to that a great mate along for a day out and what more could you ask for? (other than to see your cobber get a cod too).

If this doesn't get some of the cod virgins motivated...nothin will! B)

Excellent report guys.

TerryH wrote:

Lol, what do you do when you reach a small piece of timber covering the river that you can't fully slide under and can't paddle over?

Lee demonstrates: [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/8_04_2008___Stanley_River___Lee_navigating_a_very_low_timber_crossing_AFO.jpg

To get under/over this one I had to take the triples off, throw my paddle and rod into the grass on the left, and do a combination of lifting the log up, and pushing my yak down into the water. That was a tight one ;)

What? Not going to limbo under that one? :P

Archived