Saturdays Weather

Nastymind

Hi all.... again,

The first and only time i have ever gone out through the Gold Coast Seaway to the 24 fathoms, i followed rumrunner.

It turned out pretty bad for myself and my crew.

Plenty of up chucking and a fair few tears of fear from the mrs.

The winds were 10 to 15's with about 1.5m to 2m swells.

I thought that was great weather because back home in Townsville weather like that means open throttle to wherever you wanna go.

So my question is.....

In your opinion, what weather should i be looking out for to get back out there in a reasonably comfortable state.

ie. i can see the horizon over the swell (not necessarily complete glass, but not shit scary either)

My boat is a 5.5m alloy centre console, 115hp, 2 stroke.

Cheers guys,

Michael

A boat that size should handle 10-15 no probs at all.

I think it is just familiarisation. Still perfectly safe. Maybe you need someone onboard with a bit of experience. Confidence comes with experience. Im sure rumrunner would not of taken his out if it was dangerous.

Having a little tinny, I look for a change in wind direction during the day. It's worked well, so far I haven't been caught out yet (Thank God). I also look at the swell on Seabreeze, if it's over a meter, I dont go near it. But with all that being said, Your boat is a lot bigger than mine and could handle a lot more, also I dont have to cross a bar (very friggen scary I reckon) to get to where I fish. Good luck with it.

Jayson

Nastymind,

Probably best to make sure you have it all sorted before you take the family again. You'll not want them to have another bad experience straight up or you'll be fishing on your own for ever (although......).

Another thing to look for is wind direction in regard to swell direction. While a stiff breeze going against or across the swell will tend to flatten it out, you'll be miserable in the process. A mild breeze against or across the swell can make it uncomfortable before it flattens it out.

take into consideration also the tide (i think feral when saying swell means tide yes no?) When crossing the south passage bar we always make sure when a SE is blowing we go with an incoming tide. when a SE is blowing and you cross with an outgoing tide it stands up and the pressure waves become rediculos.

we turned around serveral times in 2m seas in a 6.9m plate boat so i think you made the right decision nasty. its not worth being out there if your uncomfortable.

hey mate!

i think when we went out that day it was a pretty rough day for a first trip for Sat!

my next trip im planning to the reefs im looking for better weather! approx 1.5mtr swells and under and under 20k winds so the misses can come out with me!

maybe you shoud come out with me in my boat one day to get a bit more used to it and ya can work out what conditions you feel ok in and what you think your boat will handle?

ps: to my defence im not an unsafe captain and i dont do anything my boat cant handle!;):unsure::lol:

Ian

Hey man, good to hear from you again.

You certainly are a safe boaty.

I didn't mean to sound like i was saying you aren't.

Sorry mate.

It looks like we might be doing a Friday night trip to Harrys if you're keen to bring the ship out of dock (or anyone else)

Has anyone fished there at night before?

What fish should i expect and gear up for and what techniques will work best?

nah its not lookin good for me on fri nite!

its a bit hard with the little fella!

im going to head out on saturday morning that way it is ezy for us and the little fella can come aswell!

not sure about the harries boat park on weekend mornings!(too many dicks in tinnies think they own it!) so i will prob venture a little north to the wreck off mud!

if no luck there i will do loops of the island till i get something!

goodluck Nasty!

Ian

Archived