how far can you cast?

fishyman

hey guys im in the middle of test casting my dads rod to check guide placements etc etc.

my question is how far can you guys cast a approx 4gram lure (jackall chubby hookless) on a light flick stick. Im trying to see what an average cast is so just a one handed sidearm flick like cast would be great.

at the moment with the setup 25,16,10,7,6,6,6,6,6,tip it casts approx 25m one handed flick and about 30m two handed overhead.

so yeah how far can you cast?

well i just finished comparing my rod with the build rod.

Results:

Casting Jackall Chubby Deep WITHOUT HOOKS

My rod: 25m best cast

Build Rod: 23m best cast

The build rod is quite alot stiffer than my rod and is IMO more suited to bigger plastics for snapper, however saying that the build rod will be my dads versatile artificials rod. So anything from bream and whiting to nice size snapper will be fought on this rod. My rod is a 1-2kg very whippy ultralight casting rod.

so i am quite happy with the performance of this rod considering its not really ideal for pint size bream lures.

for the record: Samurai S006 7' 2-4kg

EDIT: forgot to mention, That was into a slight headwind, using a overhead cast going approx 4m in the air. Had to do this type of cast because golf course was busy so had to use my easement strip

They are Silicon carbide guides, and i used that specific line/leader setup as a worst case senario ie pretty thick leader with reasonable mainline. The reel is a 2000 SOL

Finally got out on the golf course just then, tried to different weights again 1 a jackall chubby and 2 a jackall TN60

got around 30m with the chubby one handed flick type cast. and around 45m with the TN60

how longs a piece of string. I spent ages tuning my calcutta 250 a couple of years ago trying to get everything out of it, tried different grades of oils and even different bearings. There are so many factors to look at. all rods are different and even the way a lure flies, not to mention lines. Eventually saw the light and decided distance wasn't the holy grail but accuracy was. Then spent hours casting plugs at empty beer bottles. As the night wore on I hit more and more (obviously more to aim at)

It all goes down to what feels right.

To put another spin on it, When I got my Live fibre surf rod I took it down to the local footy field to compare distance. Using 20lbs Platy Pink and my Alvey 650bcvxdjkqwrql,omfg I cast from the goal line and DDDDOOOOOOOOOOIIIIIIINNNNNNNGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!! Hit the cross bar on the other goal post. The whole thing was wobbling like crazy So I hightailed it out of there. :woohoo:

Archived