Safety Equipment.

rayke1938

Just been having a read of the Maritime Safety Info in the Beacon to beacon.

The way I interpret the regs are that under the General Safety Obligation it is compulsory for all recreational craft to carry flares, v sheet and life jacket, epirb , dependent what waters you are operating in whether the craft is registered or not.

There is no mention for exeception for yaks or canoes.

They also recommend navigational equip and sufficient drinking water.

Wonder what the water police would do if they catch you in partially smooth waters in a yak.

Cheers

Ray

Ray: Define "Dependant on whether the craft is registered or not"?

Kayaks of course not being registered, do they need to meet these requirements.

By the way I think they probably should as I think a Yak is more vulnerable than a boat.

I just wondering how the red tape operates...

Angus

I just contacted Water police at Wynnum and was advised that all craft that are not registrable are exempt however if there was an accident you could still be prosecuted under the general safety obligation. He said to contact marine safety qld for full interpretation of the rules. He said that there was a drowning from a canoe at noosa a few years back and the owner of the canoe was successfully prosecuted as no one was wearing life jackets.Looks like it is up to you be prudent and cover your bum.

Cheers

Ray

Skimmed through this which is the legisation refering to safety equipment. In Part 3 it refers to equipment needed for vessels that are not required to be registered and it looks pretty much the same as all other boats.

Transport Operations (Marine

Safetyâ€â€Recreational Ships

Miscellaneous Equipment)

Standard 2006

The section 60(2)f refers to the TOMS Regs and states that

(f) a recreational ship thatâ€â€

(i) is not powered; or

(ii) is powered by an engine of less than 3kW;

So bottom line that I can read is that although there is no need for registration, all safety equipment is as per a registered vessel operating in smooth or partially smooth waters whatever the case may be.

But that then goes against what the MSQ website says..... go figure!

Archived