The 'Five Ways'

MentallyUnsound

HI all, i went out early friday morning around 6am launch from Jacobs Well. Place the tinny in with my Dad aboard and headed to the 'Five Ways'. High tide was around 8.30am so there was plenty of deep water for the tinny to skip around in. The wind factor was ok on the way out so it was a fairly smooth ride to wally's gutter. Wally's gutter is a brilliant spot to escape the wind as we found out at around 9am. Anyway... the fishing... we did lots of drifts around the deep drop-offs near the channel crossing marker at the five ways. Fist fish caught was a small squire at around 25cm that my day caught on some squid, he did pretty well with the squid pulling up a total of 3 small squire, and what we think was a grassy sweetlip. Myself on ther other had, I was using a 3" pumpkin Seed Shad had a nice hit hooked up, it took a run, I twitched the rod and the fish either spit the hook or i ripped it out of its mouth :angry: a few more drifts saw me land my only fish for the day, a just undersized squire that went 33cm on the ruler. I had a few more bits, a few SP tails missing, but i had fun.

Then it all went quiet.... nothing...

So we moved to the shallower water of wallys gutter in hope to catch a flatty, bream whitting anything... and nothing...

By now it was around 8 8.30 or so and it was starting to rain, and the wind was picking up. So we started to head for home. As we exited wally's gutter we where completely smashed by the s/se winds ripping through, making a nice little swell, that i must say, dad and I didn't enjoy. In a 13ft tinny, 15hp and around a foot or more swell made for some interesting boat ride. I steered the boat towards the bank od Kangeroo as the swell had calmed close to the island..... thank you high tide. I hugged the shore all the way back towards Dinner Is in hope to have a fish and maybe bag a feed.... nope... nothing... back to ramp we went. On arival to the ramp there we were greated by 2 Fisheries officers. Had a quick chat, loaded the boat at 10am or so, a 2 min drive to dads place. A hot shower, coffe......

In all it was great to get out... ;)

Cheers - Dave

Sorry no pics

Have to be happy with a 2 minute drive from the ramp to a shower and coffee.

I launched about about 8am from the Well and went straight to Northern tip of Crusoe and tucked up out of the wind. Spent most of time there in and out from the canopy between rain squalls, consistently landing flatties from the sandy reed bottom. Saw the wind and wave chop rising and rising so called in to some friends on a houseboat at Tipplers before retrieving at 3.30pm for the 90min car ride home!!!

Archived