Opportunity for a laugh (one time only offer)

caelen

Went down to the local fishing spot early this morning to keep the kids amused. Been having a bit of success lately with a few bream and some catties thrown in for amusement.

After a bit decided to give the brand new cast neta go. Keep in mind being from south of the border I have never used one before. So with no one around to embarress myself in front of I had ten casts. A bit of mumbling and swearing later and I proudly pulled in my first prawn from the river. Little bugger went about 10 cm.

(Yes Im getting to the have a laugh bit)

After reading through the many posts on here about the value of said prawns as bait I decided to throw him onto my rod. Now this rod hold 20lb braid and a 30 pound leader just in case I actualyl catch something worth writing home about :).

Sat with the rod for a few mins before getting bored and decided to show of my wonderful cast netting abilities to my little girl (shes 2).

(Yes Im getting to the have a laugh bit)

Anyway after a few more casts I give up (I really do s^&k at netting at the moment) and head back to the rods. It was at that EXACT moment the said live prawn attached to said line attached to my reel and attached to my rod was hoiked about 5 yards in to the river and heading DOWN into the murky depths.

For those of you living in Caboolture and the Goldcoast that was me you heard swearing. Apologies for the profanities.

(Wait it gets better)

After 15 mins or so of swearing and hoping I would see it floating to the top I decided ahh well Ill just keep fishing with my other rod. Three casts later and :woohoo: WOOOHOOO Im snagged onto my lovely 20lb braid.

Not knowing which end to pull I start towards the most likely end and up comes my hooks with half a prawn. Start pulling other end and it feels like a snag. Give it a slight yank and :woohoo: WOOHOOO I see the tip of the rod and the line just broke again. But wait a minute :woohoo: WOOHOOO rod tip sitting out of water, reel is hooked into rocks on bottom.

Said rod and reel is about 5 meters out into the Brisbane river. Being a known sharking spot theis little black duck sits and decides is it worth it. This is when the wife appeared. She asked how much it was worth and suddenly I had my mind made up FOR me. I am going for a swim :).

After 5 minutes of sitting in the cold up to my arse I am just about to dive in when the young fella (hes 4) pipes up and says "hey dad did you know theres sharks in there and they like things that splash". THANK YOU VERY MUCH NATIONAL GEOGRAPHOC FOR TEACHING MY SON THE WAYS OF THE WORLD.

* 15 and son goes back to bench to wait for dad to be mauled by a bull shark.

Anyway to cut the story short, dove in grabbed rod (t didnt snag thank god) and was out of water in about 7 seconds. Libby Lenton wouldnt have moved as fast I reckon.

On a bright note the rod is home, the reel is home (both cleaned to brand new) and all my digits are still attached.

Make a note this is the last time I am planning on entertaining you all in such a way so enjoy yourselves now while ya can :woohoo:

Thanks for the giggle, wish I was there to see the look on your face when it went over:lol: :angry: :silly:

A very heroic rescue, I would have been tempted to send the young fella in after it...but then again maybe that's one of the reasons I don't have kids yet:lol:

pcsolutionman wrote:

Mate I seriously wouldnt be too worried about getting eaten or even bitten by a shark in the few seconds your going to spend in the water

Lee

Yea I mean really how much can they chew off in that amount of time.... not much!

Great read though, and got to love the family for words of encouragement.

Had the same sort of thing happen to me up north, dropped the rod overboard jumped in then remembered the crocs that inhabit the area, left the rod & was out & back in the boat, went back when the tide was out. (the retrieval is another story)

Pete

Archived