Kayaking at Cleveland

Mozza

Hey guys

Me and Mackattack decided to kick off the day early at 5:30 and headed out to Cleveland in search of a reef just of the Cleveland boat ramp that was renowned for holding some legal size snapper and bream. We arrived at the ramp at around 6:30 and were extremely keen to get the yaks into the water and start fishing.

After 2 hours of drifting up and down the flats at Cleveland point with no success, we decided to head inland towards the canals to see if we could get some bream.

The trip over to the canals was horrible as the winds seemed to pick up quite quickly and white caps started to emerge. We began trolling up and down a rock wall when i noticed that my line had a bit of weight on it. As i reeled in i could have sworn that it was just a big hunk of weed however as it came to the surface it turned out to be a 23 cm pike. Around 20 minutes later we started drifting along side pontoons further into the canals. After putting a cast into what appeared to be prime bream territory within seconds i was on to a 25cm bream.

Another two hours passed and we still only had the two fish. We pulled up to one of the openings in the canals and got out to stretch our legs. After a quick downgrade in leader (12 to 6 lb) we begin flicking a few lures. On Mackattacks second cast he managed to reel in a perfect whole bait sized pike that went straight into the eski.

Another 45 minutes passed with no other fish so we decided to begin trolling again. We both put on some of the new dimiki lures that Angus had given us (one a deep diving lure and the other a very shallow diving lure). We began trolling along side the pontoons and about 10 minutes later mackattack was into a fairly decent size 52cm flatty. After another hour or so we decided to call it quit's and headed back for the car.

Photo's of the bream and flatty will be up later.

Cheers

The profish handled like a treat it was awesome ... the rudder made drifting around the pontoons and stuff so much easier .. it just meant that i was able to put alot more casts in without having to worry about steering the kayak... Thanks again for it Angus.

ellicat wrote:

Did you keep the flatty or send it to the chiro:dry: :laugh: :silly:

You trying to advertise something in that last pic Jack ?:P

Yeh i did keep it but i assume your talking about the flatties neck position with the chiro comment:huh: I was trying to hold it straight but it decided that it wanted to be in that position so i let it stay that way so the thing didn't go balistic again.

Advertising? no i wouldn't do such a thing.:silly:

Archived