2nd Day still hungry (cat fish bait)

Lokenfold

Hi Guys n Girls,

Today was my 2nd day straight at Rotary Park on Logan River (I was there last Thursday, Friday, Monday and today Tuesday) and I didn't catch a thing today!

Yesterday I caught a nice flat head (my other dream fish as I never caught one before) and it wasn't really a great fighting fish... but the size was impressive about 70cm-80cm-ish, I lost him on the rock wall when I dipped my line and he shock his head and away he swam.

I basically have two lines in the water, one for sharks using a boat rod and over head real (PENN GT Combo) and the other is for everything else and what I use for that is a 8 or 9ft Silstar rod and a Silstar egg beater real.

The rig on the shark rod is - 20lb line, to swivel on wire trace to swivel with clip and then 2 or 3 gain hocks.

Now, I think I know where I'm going wrong, I was told sharks will eat anything and everything and being the tight ar$e I am I find all the cat fish on the banks that everyone kills and chop them and use them for bait.... now because I haven't caught anything as yet I believe it is not the right thing to do???

Any tips on river fishing and using dead baits???

:dry:

Be carefull using berley. If the tidal situation is anything like the Brisbane, the current is just as likely to sweep your berely away too fast, with your sharks...

I'm a big fan of fresh baits myself. Perhaps you could target some catties on your light rod and then use a fillet from one of them? That way you'll get all the blood and juice on the fillet. Or use one as a livie! From reading reports from guys chasing megasized sharks (try the msn group shark fishing unlimited and also extremecoast.com) the pros only use fresh baits for big sharks, so I don't see why small ones would be different???

I don't have a cast net yet, I'm pondering on buying one though. I use a berly trail - Any old meat I have left over I stick into a bag and leave it sitting in the water, I also chuck in the heads from the cat fish to attract smaller fish which intern will bring in the bigger ones.

(That's the plan anyhow)

I am using cat fish fillets, however to no success, does anyone else use cat fish as bait???

This is going to sound stupid but I don't really like sticking hooks into a live fish and letting it swim around in pain :dry: I know that method brings results more so then dead baits ... if there was a way of doing it so the fish wasn't in pain then it will be all good.

i would be wary of using berley to attract sharks in the Logan and Albert Rivers, as the Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries latest information and regulations are on shark fishing and include points on using berley. When this information is finalised they are getting sent over to me so i can link or put them up on this site. I think however, there is already some newish articles on shark fishing on the DPI&F website, so you may want to first check them out. ;)

The last article I saw on sharking from the DPI&F said that you shouldn't berley for sharks as there's enough around, but didn't say you couldn't.

Edit:

/>http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/cps/rde/xchg/dpi/hs.xsl/28_3140_ENA_HTML.htm

They urge you not to berley, but they don't say you're not allowed to..

Post edited by: TerryH, at: 2006/10/31 22:35

Here's my say.

As to burley in the logan, albert and any other fast tidal water area - ONLY USE THE BURLEY AT THE BOTTOM AND TOP OF THE TIDES WHEN FLOW IS VERY SLIGHT - otherwise you'll be sending the sharks away from you.

During fast tide, if you want to stimulate the water I have been known to let a live mullet soak in a burley bucket full of slush - then back in the water the live bait regurgitates the burley and gives a trail.

As to fish in pain - I heard they only feel for 3 secs - but true or not who cares - consider this-my kids have lip, nose and ear peircing and they are not walking around in pain!:pinch:

Cat fish fillets soaked in tuna oil will catch fish - but again don't burley if you do this as the sharks will find the bait.

Lokenfold sharking is also a lot about luck.

You can fish the right spot with the right bait many times over without any success.

But stay keen, i am a firm believer with sharking, even more than most fishing that patience is a virtue.

As johnny said however i would be very hesitant on using berley in the Logan and Albert. Not from a todal but a legal point of view.

Anyway in the logan, i think with some strip baits such as catfish, mullet or pike, it should only be a matter of time before your onto some little bullies at the least. You might even pick up an accidental jewy.

Angus

Hey Angus - I don't know of any legal restriction to burley - however there is the issue of \"safe practices\" and \"duty of care\" - if someone got eaten by sharks attracted by your burley - but even then that is contestable.

I know the DPI say \"not required\" due to attracting too many sharks - I always stop burley when the sharks are switch on but after you catch a couple the shraks move off and burley is needed again for a bit to get em back and fire them up.

If you know better, please correct me cause I don't want to do the naughty.:ohmy:

We might need Ray and Feral to settle this.:whistle:

Brian i use the term Legal loosely.

I know the council/govt is talking about these issues presently.

I know it is not Illegal right at the very minute.

However i would not want to here about one of our guys being one of the first to recieve some sort of fine due to a new law or restriction that they were simply unaware of.

Like new road rules the most effective way to notify people of them is to start inforcing them!

So i just urge caution thats all.

I dont think there would be any ramifications from using a tin of catfood or whatever. However maybe dont sit on the bank ladeling pints of blood into the river!! :P

Angus

Brian D wrote:

Lokenfold wrote:
Hi Guys n Girls,

I basically have two lines in the water, :dry:

I think we are allowed 3 set lines - is that right?

As webmaster said, we are allowed to have 3 lines; this includes set lines, handlines, and rods etc. Also keep in mind that we're only allowed to use 6 hooks in total, in any configuration.

Lokenfold wrote:

I don't have a cast net yet, I'm pondering on buying one though. I use a berly trail - Any old meat I have left over I stick into a bag and leave it sitting in the water, I also chuck in the heads from the cat fish to attract smaller fish which intern will bring in the bigger ones.

(That's the plan anyhow)

I am using cat fish fillets, however to no success, does anyone else use cat fish as bait???

This is going to sound stupid but I don't really like sticking hooks into a live fish and letting it swim around in pain :dry: I know that method brings results more so then dead baits ... if there was a way of doing it so the fish wasn't in pain then it will be all good.

About not liking to use the live fish, you can just stick the hook in the jaw. Pretty much the same as if you were to catch them on you light tackle, only bigger hook.

this is from the DPI & F website

Shark fishing is a popular recreational activity in some parts of south-east Queensland. However, anglers must remember that sharks are dangerous predators and that fishing for sharks is extremely risky.

Anglers who target sharks MUST act responsibly to minimise the risk to themselves and safeguard the safety of local residents, swimmers and other users of the waterways.

Safety advice for anglers

Consider others. Avoid fishing for sharks in areas used by swimmers and other waterway users, such as kayakers.

Do not berley. There is no need to berley for sharks - they can be caught quite effectively with the correct rig and baits. Unnecessary berleying attracts a larger number of sharks to an area, thus making it more dangerous for other waterway users.

and from the Size, Take and Possession Limits brochure

Species :: Legal size (cm) :: Take and possession limit

Shark :: 50 min :: No limit

im waiting to see what new information is being released on shark fishing, as i have been in touch with the DPI&F and they were going to let me know when the new information was being released.

Hey guys I'm back,

WOW a lot of info! I had no idea about the 3 line rule and hook combo's, yesterday at Bribe I took 4 rods 2 set lines - Shark Rig (nothing touched it) and Surf Rod, Light beach Rod and my bait caster, I ended up putting the bait caster away after hitting a couple of snags with my lures and loosing a soft plastic.

The fun once again started on the in-coming tide (damn it runs in fast in the passage) I hooked onto something with my light beach setup, my Reel spun like a hooked a train, I tightened the drag and put some pressure on the line but after a short fight what ever I hooked chopped the line clean off. This happened 3 times in total, so in order to catch what ever it was I decided to put a trace on, and then it didn't touch the bait. :blink:

I hooked a nice Squire that measured in at 35cm(What's even better is that I have never caught one before!),I'm going to have it tonight for dinner, I was wrapped in actually landing a fish as my record for landing fish is one not to be proud of:

Tom's first ever hooked and then lost fish on landing: Flathead, Taylor, Shovel Nose Shark.

The downside of the day was forgetting to bring all my utensils for cooking and eating on my portable BBQ, I think I scared the boaties away once they witnessed me juggling a burning steak in my fingers ripping it to shreds whilst trying to eat it and fish at the same time.

I can't wait to go back!

Tom.

P.S: I didn't use any burley :)

Archived