Rainbow Beach Fishing - Should I take the YAK?

batman

Hey guys

I am heading up to Rainbow beach to meet a mate and his young son for a weekend fishin!

I would like to take the yak up but will probably be doing some fishing from the rocks or beach with me mate.

I have two Bream style graphite rods good for flicking lures amd my Ian Miller 7'6 casts plastics pretty damn far but I don't think she will cut it off the beach.

I was thinking of getting an entry level surf rod from K-Mart or Anaconda...fibreglass? A big long surf rod! Then put my Shimano Baitrunner 3500 for some long casting off the beach. Pop some 40lb mono leader action and see how we go?

Think this is a good option...your advice and thoughts on beach/rock fishing would be great! I am not going to be doing a huge amount of this style of fishing so something entry level to mid level.

Cheers

Batty

If you are going to get serious in surf fishing it would be a good idea but if it is just a one off may as well just use your flick stick. But I must warn you it is hard to fish on a beach with a small rod. But you can never have to many rods remember one for every occasion :lol: .

look at the pic we paddled out towards wolf took approx 40 mins nice and easy (thats the straight top line) then it blew up around 25-30 knts WESTERLY omg!! we took approx 2+ hours to get back (bottom line) in approx 2m+ seas nearly died seriously. looked nice at 5am this is what it looked like at 5am [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/yak_mission_squid-2a78cc00cb8753c4471643383fcd4025.jpg

post-954-144598462943_thumb.jpg

Hi again chaps!

I am tusseling with the idea should I take my yak to Rainbow beach? Checking out Google Earth I noticed that if you drive up INSKIP road heading north there is an awesome little bay inside the river mouth...has anyone fished or yakked up there?

I would imagine the tidel flow would be pretty dangerous at Inskip Point?

But if I paddled towards Tincan Bay in the yak I am sure there would be some good fish to be had inside the river system? any coments?

batman wrote:

Hi again chaps!

I am tusseling with the idea should I take my yak to Rainbow beach? Checking out Google Earth I noticed that if you drive up INSKIP road heading north there is an awesome little bay inside the river mouth...has anyone fished or yakked up there?

I would imagine the tidel flow would be pretty dangerous at Inskip Point?

But if I paddled towards Tincan Bay in the yak I am sure there would be some good fish to be had inside the river system? any coments?

plenty of fish in there batty should be tuna and golden trevs around as well as all the usual estuary species

I had a look at Anaconda on the weekend and you can get a cheapie Silstar 12' surf rod for $50 odd!!! Jeezuz thats cheap like a budgie! A full Alvery 650 with surf rod was $199 thats dirt!

I think I will get a cheapie surf rod and attach my Baitrunner 3500 for surf casting..... as I don't see myself doing to much surf fishing so it might be a good way to go.

Archived